hunting roanoke rapids

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

hunting roanoke rapids

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Some buddies and I were thinking of giving roanoke rapids a try. We were going to go to Arkansas but we thought we would try something different since we have already been there this year. One of my buddies thinking about going with us went a couple years ago with someone and had a pretty good hunt. I have been traveling to arkansas a couple times a year for a while now to hunt but have never tried anything like roanoke rapids. Could anybody give me a run down on what its like and what to expect/prepare for. A duck report would be appreciated, not looking for any areas just whether or not its even worth going. Thanks guys
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: hunting roanoke rapids

Postby TooTall » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Hunters are a dime a dozen, birds often not so much. Locals can be @******. It's a small lake without many places to get away from the crowds. Lots of grass to clog up your outboard and wipe out your entire decoy spread. Lake levels can drop several feet in less than an hour causing dangerous currents and can leave you high and dry for hours until they dump out of Gaston.

That being said, they do kill birds there at times, but be prepared to scout hard, have plans A B C and D and don't get discouraged if it still doesn't work out.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby black_duck » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:06 pm

GO to Arkansas
black_duck
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:05 pm

black_duck wrote:GO to Arkansas

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What he said!!!!
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Willie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:16 pm

TooTall wrote:Hunters are a dime a dozen, birds often not so much. Locals can be @******. It's a small lake without many places to get away from the crowds. Lots of grass to clog up your outboard and wipe out your entire decoy spread. Lake levels can drop several feet in less than an hour causing dangerous currents and can leave you high and dry for hours until they dump out of Gaston.

That being said, they do kill birds there at times, but be prepared to scout hard, have plans A B C and D and don't get discouraged if it still doesn't work out.

Lots of stumps too. If you're not familiar with the lake, best to go in daylight or with someone who is.
Willie
hunter

Postby jcz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:36 pm

You are giving up a trip to Arkansas to go to Ro Rap?? I'm confused.
jcz
hunter

Postby Willie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:55 pm

jcz wrote:You are giving up a trip to Arkansas to go to Ro Rap?? I'm confused.

Believe you missed the part where he goes there a couple times a season and wants to try something different. Ro rap would certainly qualify as different I guess.
Willie
hunter

Postby NCtroutbum » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:38 am

ruddy bonanza
NCtroutbum
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:15 pm

My vote would be arkansas, my buddies wanted to try roanoke rapids and I didnt know anything about it. After hearing yalls comments i think i will head west
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Big Fig » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:49 pm

I also wanted to hunt that place more some years ago, until I heard of the cluster that takes place up there - hunters sleeping in boats all night to get their spot, fighting at the ramps, Skimmer, stumps and grass mats. They can have it.
Baiter hater
You can find me on the swamp
Big Fig
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:07 pm

We will be camping out Sunday night :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Indtruckman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:15 pm

You be shooting about 50 yards ,and I always bring my 10ga gold with terror 720 choke. If you are lucky you may get a shot at a Can.
Is guy with all the decoys still hunting their? If so stay home.
Indtruckman
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Indtruckman wrote:You be shooting about 50 yards ,and I always bring my 10ga gold with terror 720 choke. If you are lucky you may get a shot at a Can.
Is guy with all the decoys still hunting their? If so stay home.

If you are referring to the guide, yes, yes he is.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 pm

yes Daryl is there still.. new house, same guy. :yes:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 am

I basically live on RR lake in the summer times and still manage to find new stumps and shallow area, and if the water is up you still have to watch out for the submerged concrete railroad trestles that run the width of the flats. I highly suggest that if you don't know the lake, you idle where ever you go and take a couple paddles.
Daryl (aka skimmer) has close to 2000 decoys floating right now. He has both sides of the island locked down and has layouts hunting in other areas. The old permanent blinds that used to stand at the back of the flats have been cut down and now float around the back side of the lake. The main spread of birds have moved on now, and the ones that are still around are very decoy shy.
Good luck, but I would have to say "Go West Young Man".
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:39 am

mayhem96 wrote:We will be camping out Sunday night :thumbsup:

The local GW have said that at the request of Dominion Power, overnight camping is no longer allowed. Not sure how strictly or when the enforcement of the request starts.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:08 pm

I was one and done this year there... maybe cuz it was good maybe cuz it was a bad :biggrin: :huh:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Don't waste your time. We were out there yesterday and it was pretty slow. We camped out Sunday night and the one positive was no one set up right on top of us. Had some guys to the right shoot sea gulls and skyblast Buffies as they flew over. Saw thousands of Cans and Buffies but they are stay out in the middle. The guide's clients only shot a few times. The key...get out in the middle with a layout boat :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:31 pm

We spent Saturday morning on the lake. We saw a few but nothing like what I have seen in the past. Large wind storm blew in and kicked up some large waves that were stacking on top of each other. Glad we took two boats that morning - one of them swamped from waves while pulled up on shore and it didn't make it home until the next day. Yall be careful out there.
SUnk.jpg
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:00 pm

CountryRN wrote:We spent Saturday morning on the lake. We saw a few but nothing like what I have seen in the past. Large wind storm blew in and kicked up some large waves that were stacking on top of each other. Glad we took two boats that morning - one of them swamped from waves while pulled up on shore and it didn't make it home until the next day. Yall be careful out there.
SUnk.jpg

:eek:
MSparks909
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 am

Man, the more I read about public hunting shenanigans in NC the more I want to get out of the state to hunt. I wonder if people realize with the amount of time and money they spent here they can go out West couple times a year and have a blast. :huh:
Doubleplay
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting