Pen-Raised Birds

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Pen-Raised Birds

Postby NCfowl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:20 am

Looking to raising some mallards this summer. Someone talk about their experience and the pros and cons about what you think.
NCfowl
hunter

Re: Pen-Raised Birds

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:58 am

hi Fowl, I tried it several years ago. I ordered day old birds from a place in Minnesota, they shipped quickly but i lost some birds in this process. Birds cost about $1 apiece plus shipping. had to get heat lights and build a place to keep them warm, dry and safe. spent a lot on pens, water and feed supplies and invested a lot of time. At 14 weeks i was supposed to be able to put them on our pond, they should fly all i had to do was use some supplemental feed . Started with 40 and at 14 weeks I had twenty four. After the first week in the pond the owls, hawks and other predators had gotten 12. The remaining mallards went to the swamp at the back of our property for safety (a good thing) - We did not allow hunting that year and the birds seemed to flourish. The numbers increased probably from drawing other local birds and some reproduction. the next year there is one small spot we did not own on the swamp. Some local young commanders dumped a lot of corn there and killed them all.
It is cheaper to buy birds ready to release.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby Einstein » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:50 am

I don't know if you were insinuating this, but it is 100% illegal to hunt over birds that you have released in an area unless that "pen raised" bird has been removed. http://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting ... iting.html On the other hand, I have raised ducks for eggs and consumption and I can guarantee you they are no way worth it. Ducks are literally the nastiest animals I have ever seen. Far more than pigs, cows or any other "dirty" animal. Ducks require constant care. Not like a chicken.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Is it possible to buy some around 6-8 weeks old to not have to get heat lamps for and such?
NCfowl
hunter

Postby nscochrane1009 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:28 pm

I think you should go for it. I see people who are doing it. I think it would be a lot of fun. I've been working on converting my old dog pen 16'x16' pen into an area where I can house a couple different ducks. I lowered it about 6" into the ground all the way around. I have also put chicken wire on the top to keep them from flying away. I am now working on building a pen for them to sleep and lay eggs in, then I'll be ordering them.
nscochrane1009
hunter

Postby nscochrane1009 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:28 pm

But they are all right, you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT HUNT OVER LIVE BIRDS. That is in every way illegal.
nscochrane1009
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:38 pm

I hear a lot of people using nets instead of chicken wire because when able to fly, the birds can get hurt when flying into the chicken wire.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby nscochrane1009 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:44 pm

That is a good point, I haven't heard that and it is very logical. I'll revise my plan
nscochrane1009
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Contact Frost Waterfowl in Georgetown SC, they advertise in Wildfowl, Delta Waterfowl, and others. They provide older birds that you can release.

As to hunting over live birds, it is only illegal if they are used as decoys.

Plenty of clubs release birds and hunt over them with no problem from Feds.

Taking a few ducks with you in the boat and tying them out as decoys is illegal, having them swimming around the impoundment does not seem to be. Just saying.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks a lot Sprig.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 am

Tamies... :no:

I guess it would be easier to raise a few dozen and then wring their necks and eat them. Save a lot of money and time not having to worry about buying guns, camo, decoys and all of the other misc. gear you have to use to actually "hunt". Maybe buy a few dozen quail and pheasants too. Turn on the grill and throw a party so you can tell your friends how great of a hunter you are. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting