One last Hoo-rah

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

One last Hoo-rah

Postby NCfowl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:50 am

Last week and we get a great front! Couldn't have worked out any better!
NCfowl
hunter

Re: One last Hoo-rah

Postby Duck Nasty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 am

Hardly any birds out this morning saw 1 group of ring necks and 3 black ducks all morning. Hope it gets better quick
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby MichaelT » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:02 pm

I was covered up in greenheads this morning, at least right after LST, probably all local birds though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MichaelT
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Leaving tonight and not coming back till sunday. Plan on hunting hard and long to finish out what has to be the best season I have ever had. Good luck to all!!! Bang em up.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby MichaelT » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Good luck KA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MichaelT
hunter

Postby ncfreediver » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Where da ducks at?
Attachments
lep.gif
lep.gif (427.06 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
ncfreediver
Newb

Postby rivercountry » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Yesterday’s hunt was really slow and I only saw 3 birds. Two mallards and one lonely wood duck were all that even took a look at the ole swamp. The last mallard worked well to the call and I was able to scratch him out. I sent my Lab out to pick him up and I was just glad that the day was not a total bust. When my boy delivered the bird I saw the bling on is leg and told my wife oh he!! we killed us a band. When I rolled him over there was the other one and I fell off the damn mud stool. I haven’t killed a lot of banded birds but I have never killed a double banded duck. He was banded 11 years ago in Ontario Canada and had a $100 reward band on. Too bad they don’t pay em out anymore but oh well the sentimental value is worth more than that anyway. The numbers were almost gone on the reward band (only 4 left) and the federal band was really hard to read but I got it reported. It’s been a pretty good season not the best I have ever had but by far from the worst either. I have to admit the bands did sweeten it a bit. I know duck hunting isn’t about the bands but it is nice to pick up one every now and then. Hope everybody had a great season.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby high flyer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:01 pm

I had heard they quit putting reward bands on them but didn't know they weren't paying out the ones that are still out there. Nice trophy none the less. I killed a $100 black several years ago.
high flyer
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:35 pm

I could be wrong that they quit paying I have not been able to get anyone at the USGS to answer the phone but, either way I am happy. I had wife with me for her last hunt of the season and this was my pups first season so it will be a great memory to put in the log book.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Congrats on the greenhead :thumbsup:
Heck of a trophy :clapping:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby jcz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Congrats on a great bird. :thumbsup:
jcz
hunter

Postby RJ2549 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:14 pm

Awesome!! That's the first time I've seen a pic (proof) of a double banded bird.
RJ2549
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:54 am

Ice does wonderful things! :thumbsup:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:44 am

Congrats. What a trophy!
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 am

Congrats :thumbsup: I killed a doubled banded drake mallard 3 years ago with a $100 reward. It too was 10+ years old. They sent me money though. Maybe they have discontinued that? I haven't heard of it if they have. Either way still cool to get one that old.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:36 pm

I spoke with a lady at the Bird Banding Lab today because I reported another banded wood duck that I killed at the same time. I didnt kill it the same day but did report it the same day. Well they emailed me the certificate on the wood duck but not not my mallard so I called them to see why. Apparently it was becuase of the reward band and the fact I had only given the 4 numbers that I could still see on the band. She pulled the numbers off the records and confirmed the band and said she was going send it to the rewards department for processing the payment. I laughed and said I didnt think they paid the rewards anymore but she told me they still pay for some of them. She also said that some of the older bands did have an expiration date but she didnt know how that was determined. She said that I should get something within the next two weeks either a check or letter explaining why not. I am expecting the letter but if they send me $100 bucks I am gonna put it on a case of shells I am running low on #3's.LOL
rivercountry
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting