Hypothetical Questions

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Hypothetical Questions

Postby RJ2549 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 pm

#1) You are one bird away from your limit. A group flies in, and you pull the trigger once, but 2 birds fall with that single shot. What do you do?

#2) you are limited out and headed in, when you see a cripple. Do you put it out of it misery, or leave it to suffer? If you shoot, do you collet it, or let it float?

#3) Other hunters are in the boat/blind just down from you. You see them shoot birds down, but never retrieve. What do you do?

I have my own opinions, just wanted to see what others thought out there!
RJ2549
hunter

Re: Hypothetical Questions

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:01 pm

1) I asked a federal game warden about this particular topic. If you don't pick it up, you will get two tickets...one for over the limit and one for wanton waste. If you do retrieve it, you will only get a ticket for over the limit. You have to be careful when you get close to the limit or on species with a limit of 1.

2) Leave it alone. It is not the humane thing to do, but it is the legal thing to do. Chances are a seagull will get it....they gotta eat too.

3) You can call the warden, but depending on how far away he is, he might not be able to get there. If you can read the boat numbers, you can give that info to the warden and he will probably follow up with the owner. If I could pick the birds up, I would take them to the hunters, if possible. If not, I'd add them to my bag unless it would put me over the limit...assuming I was ready to head in.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:29 pm

I've asked 3 different gw's this very question before and gotten 3 different answers. I've had a similar experience to where we shot our limits and then after picking up we were riding in and find a bird that sailed off and died in the middle of the lake. We picked the bird up and went on in. I would never leave a bird on the water crippled or dead. And every time I come in contact with crippled birds I do my best to put them out of their misery whether we have a limit or not. If a gw were to write you a ticket for something like that(which 100% of the gw's around here would) then they're more of a low life than a person that would leave a bird laying on the water. My .02
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:31 pm

#1 Pick up both birds and head in. Learn from that and when in the same situation again make sure that birds are separated before shooting. Accidents happen but as an ethical hunter you have to take your lumps when they do

#2 I would personally dispatch the bird and pick it up. IF I was to meet the game warden and he didn`t believe the truth Id take the ticket knowing that I did what I thought was the right thing to do.

#3 I`d call the game warden and explain the situation. If possible get the others boat number. I would then pick up the birds and add them to my limit. IF I was now over the limit I`d simply call the game warden back and again explain the situation. Knowing that I had informed the proper authorities I`d feel comfortable if I was checked as the game warden checking you could simply call the warden you had talked to.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting