First year hunter - NC

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

First year hunter - NC

Postby TBS1911 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:13 am

Been browsing the forum for awhile and thought I'd finally join. Seems to be a vast wealth of information here and for that I am thankful. I am a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, hence the posting in the NC section of the forum.

This was my first year duck hunting thanks to a good friend of mine taking the time with me to show me the ropes so to speak. It's become an addiction and I have to say I love it. Due to an upcoming deployment I will miss next season, however that just gives me time to acquire needed gear, study, and work on my calling before I go out again. Once I return scouting will be a high priority before the next season as well. I can't kill birds if I can't find birds, and I like to do my own footwork, not like some folks I have seen always asking where to go. I look forwards to learning from and participating in this community.

I do have a few questions however on some gear that I am looking at. I already have camo and several warming layers (I deer/turkey/small game hunt as well), however the waders I used this year were my grandpas old fishing waders that leaked all over the place. I've been looking at Cabelas Super Mag waders and Northern Flight Single Strap waders, as well as the Lacrosse Brush Tuff II waders from L.L. Bean. All seem favorable however does anyone have experience with these? Pros and cons? I have been looking at Flambeau Storm Front Decoys as well since this year we used my buddies decoys. I've read good and bad about them, seems the largest issue is with the paint on them wearing quickly.

I have a Remington 887 that has done me right this year through about 1k shells on the skeet / trap range and the blind. Having done a bit of competition type shooting before (USPSA/high power/3 Gun), wing shooting is still something I am becoming accustomed to.

I'm still working on my calling as well. I picked up a Buck Gardner Double Nasty and 6 in 1 whistle and have been utilizing Bucks CD in my efforts to learn. I took my calls out a couple times this year when I started becoming a little more confident in my calling, though they mostly stayed in the truck. I managed to turn a pair of gadwell into the spread on a hunt, but there is still much work to be done on my calling skills.

I figure I've rattled on enough, thank you for having me. I look forwards to learning and participating and killin ducks!

Deus, Familia, et Patria
TBS1911
hunter

Re: First year hunter - NC

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:36 am

:welcome:

The wader part is easy....Cabelas brand hands down
I wore the lightmag 800 series towards the end of this season and really like them alot

To help answer your other questions, what kind of ducks are you hunting? Just puddlers or divers also?
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 am

Welcome aboard, East Bound hit the nail on the head with waders. Cabelas hands down don't think twice. The boot runs a little large. I normally wear a 10.5 boot but my cabelas are a size 9. I suggest ordering 1 size smaller than you normally wear. I have the Super Mags (they are hot and don't see much use around here) and I have the northern flight uninsulated breathables. They are comfy and are perfect for most of the NC season with proper layering.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby TBS1911 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:25 am

EastBound&Down wrote::welcome:

The wader part is easy....Cabelas brand hands down
I wore the lightmag 800 series towards the end of this season and really like them alot

To help answer your other questions, what kind of ducks are you hunting? Just puddlers or divers also?

This year was just puddle ducks but my buddy has plans to get a boat while I'm gone so divers will be fair game once we can get out on the New River. I plan on getting a kayak as well.

Deus, Familia, et Patria
TBS1911
hunter

Postby TBS1911 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:31 am

trigger22 wrote:Welcome aboard, East Bound hit the nail on the head with waders. Cabelas hands down don't think twice. The boot runs a little large. I normally wear a 10.5 boot but my cabelas are a size 9. I suggest ordering 1 size smaller than you normally wear. I have the Super Mags (they are hot and don't see much use around here) and I have the northern flight uninsulated breathables. They are comfy and are perfect for most of the NC season with proper layering.

Good to know, thanks. Grandpas old Magellan waders had 200 grams thinsulate, so I was quite chilled without layers. Also a bit smaller than I needed so layering was difficult. I have been looking at wader liner pants at Cabelas as well, they seem they would do nicely. Early season I was wearing shorts and lightweight cotton socks under my waders, end of the season I was shivering in a pair of wool socks and thermals, due in no small part to the leaks in the waders.

Deus, Familia, et Patria
TBS1911
hunter

Postby Einstein » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Cabela's Super Mags. As for decoys, the best I've found is Tanglefree buck gardner edition. Cheap, good paint and excellent look and construction. You wont be disappointed.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby TBS1911 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:33 pm

Einstein wrote:Cabela's Super Mags. As for decoys, the best I've found is Tanglefree buck gardner edition. Cheap, good paint and excellent look and construction. You wont be disappointed.

Had to Google those... Don't look bad at all.

I'm thinking of starting off with a dozen mallards and half dozens of GWT, wigeon, and woodies. Maybe a half dozen gadwall also. Mixing up the spread a little through the season would be the goal I would think. Does that sort of thing usually work? This year we used mainly wigeon and mallard decoys and just varied the number and pattern we set out.

Deus, Familia, et Patria
TBS1911
hunter

Postby Adam Gibbs » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Cabelas breathable waders. I got mine before the season and wore nothing but the breathables thoughout the year. They are the way to go for down here, considering the heat and generally lack of extreme cold weather. Great warranty and customer service too.

As far as decoys, I think you are on the right track with the teal and wood ducks. Id also recommend some ringnecks too.
Adam Gibbs
hunter

Postby Einstein » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:58 pm

I'd go with 6 wigeon, 2 dozen mallards, and a dozen divers. I'd go with Redheads or bluebills honestly. Divers want to see white, it's just that simple. I've seen people kill divers over white 2 liter bottles. Don't forget a jerk string and if you can, a quiver butt. The more motion the better I say.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby Einstein » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Really, i bought the tanglefree decoys and hated the hens so I painted them like redheads. Got GHG hens.

Check out my build:
Einstein
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:08 am

A little late but, I guess it’s better than never. First thanks for your service to our country, my step son is stationed right the road from you at Cherry point.
As far as waders go I really like the Lacrosse Brush Tuff and a good friend of mine hunts out of the Cabelas. Both are good waders I just like Lacrosse better myself. If you’re going to hunt mainly NC do yourself a favor and don’t buy more than 1200 grams of thinsulate or you will cook to a perfect medium rare. I say this from experience because I bought the 1600’s and I roast in them. I travel a lot during duck season out west (3 different flyways this winter) so they are perfect for the climate out there but a bit much here.
Decoys I have about 5 dozen puddle duck decoys B/W and G/W, Pintails, Wigeon, and mallards. Divers I have about 5 dozen as well mostly Blue bills and ring necks with a dozen redheads. All my decoys are GHG pro-grade but to be honest the paint sucks and if you don’t coddle them and use slotted bags they get beat up pretty bad. Like was stated above the new Tanglefree deaks look great but haven’t really heard how well they hold up.
When we hunt puddle ducks in the central part of the state I rarely ever put out more 1 1/2 dozen decoys and sometimes a lot less than that. Diver hunting is a different story and we usually take em all and then some. The guys on here form the coast will be a lot more well versed when it comes to diver hunting and spreads than I am since we mostly concentrate on puddle ducks.
Any way welcome to the forum and happy hunting. Good luck on your deployment, watch your six and come home safe. Remember we are all proud of you guys and appreciate the job you do.
River
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting