Access to Wysocking Bay

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Access to Wysocking Bay

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Where is the closest ramp that the public can use to access Wysocking Bay? Now that the season is over I wanted to explore it for trout but i have never had a chance to go there. Would appreciate any tips especially on things to look out for.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Re: Access to Wysocking Bay

Postby black_duck » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Which side of the bay? Its a big bay and if your looking to fish the south side then outfall would be best but if your trying to fish the other side of the bay then Engelhard ramp would be best. Trout season is closed till June though so you can't keep any
black_duck
hunter

Postby TooTall » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:54 pm

"For trout" ...okay :rolleyes:

Outfall canal: Long, slick, muddy, washed out road that's been known to pull axles out from under trailers. Short ramp with one really deep end if you go off. The canal mouth is very shallow (often less than a foot) especially with any north to the wind.

Engelhard: long ride through the sound to Wysocking.

Things to look out for: land owners with assault rifles, corn piles (but your just trout fishing, so no worries there), etc.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby berettaarms92 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 pm

^this. I will also add that in the flats the water is a foot deep at most and the mud is waist deep. Take a paddle or a push pole with.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
berettaarms92
hunter

Postby captrig » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 am

Once a unspoiled gem....Lots of private marsh.... Now lots of hunters. What is one more? Outfall is best bet if you have smaller boat or big skiff
captrig
Newb

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:10 pm

thanks for the input. it did not look easy to access but i heard the fishing was good. I am getting too old to deal with the insanity of public water hunting so trust me i will not add another hunter to the crowd.

However, if it hard to get to, hunting has been ruined, and difficult to hunt why is it so crowded with hunters?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby TooTall » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:11 pm

hype
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:44 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:thanks for the input. it did not look easy to access but i heard the fishing was good. I am getting too old to deal with the insanity of public water hunting so trust me i will not add another hunter to the crowd.

However, if it hard to get to, hunting has been ruined, and difficult to hunt why is it so crowded with hunters?

Like said above, hype and private marsh. Private access.

Years ago was a favorite area of mine. Times change . . . .
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Hyde County pretty well sucks for hunting unless you enjoy spending a lot of money sitting in a box all day in a flooded cornfield thinking that you are a "real duck hunter". :lol3: Good luck with the fishing. It probably won't last much longer either. :rolleyes:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:11 am

I dont hunt wysocking but i do hunt other open water areas in hyde and it has gotten pretty ridiculous. I am able to hunt during the week and its not unusual to see 10 to 12 boats come out where it used to be 2 or 3 on a busy day. Everyone hears hyde and they go crazy and drive 4 hours to go hunt public marsh and kill a bufflhead. It is neat down there but it has gotten very crowded.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby black_duck » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:58 pm

KAhunter wrote: Everyone hears hyde and they go crazy and drive 4 hours to go hunt public marsh and kill a bufflhead. It is neat down there but it has gotten very crowded.

This X2
black_duck
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:12 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:Hyde County pretty well sucks for hunting unless you enjoy spending a lot of money sitting in a box all day in a flooded cornfield thinking that you are a "real duck hunter". :lol3: Good luck with the fishing. It probably won't last much longer either. :rolleyes:

Spoken like a true diver hunter :thumbsup: divers rock!
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Something i don't get, why can you hunt in a flooded corn field in Hyde County but you cannot pour corn (legally) into the sound there and hunt over it? :huh:

Do the marsh owners on Wysocking Bay with AR15's shoot at boats indiscriminately or just at duck hunters. Are they very good shots? Are there any good hospitals close by?

Would I be better off hunting the shoreline at Jones Island in Pamlico county?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby TooTall » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:35 am

HydeMarsh wrote:Something i don't get, why can you hunt in a flooded corn field in Hyde County but you cannot pour corn (legally) into the sound there and hunt over it? :huh:

"Rich man puts water in his corn. Poor man puts corn in his water."

HydeMarsh wrote:Do the marsh owners on Wysocking Bay with AR15's shoot at boats indiscriminately or just at duck hunters. Are they very good shots? Are there any good hospitals close by?

Both, depends on the time of day :beer: , and no.

HydeMarsh wrote:Would I be better off hunting the shoreline at Jones Island in Pamlico county?

In terms of killing ducks? Yes.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:02 am

TooTall wrote:
HydeMarsh wrote:Something i don't get, why can you hunt in a flooded corn field in Hyde County but you cannot pour corn (legally) into the sound there and hunt over it? :huh:

"Rich man puts water in his corn. Poor man puts corn in his water."

THIS ^^^^
NCfowl
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 am

One is legal, one is not
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:05 pm

No Kidding "KA". The question is why is one legal and one not? It is the same corn and the same ducks.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:12 pm

If i hunt in my boat close to the shore at Jones Island how long will it take for landowner enformcement to show up? How long will it take for the gamewardens to show up?

Do you get a warning or a citation for first time offense?

Can you fish within 500yards of the shore in Pamlico County in duck season. If so, can you have a shotgun in your boat while you fish?

Why all these questions? :huh:
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:37 pm

pouring corn into the sound is no problem. Rule of thumb... don't do anything you cant afford to get out of... and/or know the right people to get you out of it. :hammer: it could actually end up cheaper than buying some of those impoundments.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby shell drake » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:52 pm

ducking&diving wrote:it could actually end up cheaper than buying some of those impoundments
Didnt seem to cheap to me!
shell drake
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:49 am

That was sort of rhetorical sarcasm.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Black-Duck was right. According to Marine Fisheries there has been a bad trout "stun" so the season is closed till June. Went down Outfall Canal road (path) and agree the launching there is for very small boats or very young and determined duck hunters. Since I am neither I abandoned that approach. the wind was really up (over 20) when I went to Engelhard so the sound ride did not seem very appealing. Did locate what turned out to be a private ramp near Nebraska, it was cabled and locked. Anyone know the story on this place?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby berettaarms92 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:30 am

HydeMarsh wrote:Black-Duck was right. According to Marine Fisheries there has been a bad trout "stun" so the season is closed till June. Went down Outfall Canal road (path) and agree the launching there is for very small boats or very young and determined duck hunters. Since I am neither I abandoned that approach. the wind was really up (over 20) when I went to Engelhard so the sound ride did not seem very appealing. Did locate what turned out to be a private ramp near Nebraska, it was cabled and locked. Anyone know the story on this place?

I can't remember the ladies name that owns it now but she doesn't let many people launch there. if I think of it I will send you a pm.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
berettaarms92
hunter

Postby TooTall » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Used to be open, but they locked it up a couple years ago when everyone started hunting out there.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:22 pm

thanks for the responses. Seems like good weather from Englehard is the route for me.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting