Aquatic Plants for Ducks

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Aquatic Plants for Ducks

Postby NCfowl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:46 pm

I am wanting to put a food source in a hole that has high numbers of birds using it. However, the jap millet is getting ate out by mid-late November. I am thinking about banana water lilly. Anybody ever tried any and how was it? Considering other options as well. Thanks!
NCfowl
hunter

Re: Aquatic Plants for Ducks

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Fowl, A guy who hunted with us last year used it in an impoundment near Scranton. he reported really good results with it.
I am ordering it to plant in some of the slews off the Neuse here in Johnston. I am also creating a year round shallow water hole in Hyde (about 4 acres) and planting it in Banana Lily.

Ordering them from SC.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:43 pm

if you can keep it dry in summer go with corn. if you cant and can keep the water level regulater easily (ie some way to drain and pump), go with sago pondweed. Know a couple of guys who havent had much luck with banana waterlily
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:02 pm

We regulate the water, but have no way of draining completely. However, we do an annual draw down. I have heard the sago takes over rapidly. Any side effects? We do not use the hole for fishing or anything else.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Fowl, I think you talked last fall about leasing an impoundment on North Lake Road. Did you make that happen? I heard that it was leased to an individual.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:21 am

NCfowl wrote:We regulate the water, but have no way of draining completely. However, we do an annual draw down. I have heard the sago takes over rapidly. Any side effects? We do not use the hole for fishing or anything else.

Go with sago. It can take over but thats what you want, isnt it?? Its by far the best sav for ducks I have found.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 am

KA- thanks for all the help, will be looking into that.

Hyde- We did not get it. The club members (think you remember), renewed their membership is what I was told or leased by a member friend. Not really sure. But did not get it.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:19 am

sago is great so is hydrilla if it accidentally gets in there
merganser murderer
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 pm

If your spot can be pulled down but still may stay wet then I understand why you were going with J. millet but you are right it goes away fast. We used rice in 3 holes this past year. It will work anywhere J. millet will and last till the end of the season and youth days. It does not pull ducks as well as a good crop of chufa, but that is a bear to grow.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:47 am

I have not planed chufa in the organic eastern soils but I have in the loamy soils just west of Goldsboro. What are the tough issues associated with growing chufa down east?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:04 am

I have only planted chufa in pond pulldown flats near the Catawba R and in S.Yadkin river bottoms west of Statesville. Weed control is the biggest thing. 24D b will control most broadleafs , and post will control grass (only burns chufa a little). but turn your back more than2 weeks and the weeds are back in it even if you use Prowl as a pre E. If you can grow it clean , feed it well ,do not get flooded by 7 inches of rain when it is too young then it will pull ducks like no other thing I have seen .....better than 150 bu /acre corn ! P.S. do not use any of the 2-4-Ds other than 2-4-D b they will kill chufa.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 am

thanks Greyhouse, very useful. these are the same cemicals I use here. Poast and 24D-B. I am going to try it in some small impoundments.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Grey- I have grown chufa right above the ridges of the holes for turkeys and grew great. I think I can get it to grow on the flats we drain--didn't think of that! I planted rice and it came up great but never got a head. Planted it in late June, guess a frost got it. The only thing is is that when we drain the holes we have a huge hog problem and they destroy chufa like no other... :huh:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Chufa can be a little finnicky but it is great for ducks. You cant spray when its too hot and it really doesnt do well with much competition. I didnt have much luck with it. Corn seems to do just fine and is RR ready so one spray and you are done. Does anyone know how well chufa holds up to flooding?? We are flooded for 6 months a year so its tough to keep much under the water viable accept for natural seeds.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:24 pm

It is my understanding that the reason Lake Catahoula in Louisianna holds so many Canvasbacks is the vast beds of Chufa in the lake. stands to reason that it must have water on it for a considerable amount of time.
One warning. if your spot is in an open area where swans can land and there are swans in the area they will find it and destroy your spot in short order. .
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:45 pm

The hole's I'm going to plant are in Johnston County so no worries on that. Just have to worry about the hogs bombing it. When you guys plant your rice in order to have mature heads? I would do sorghum aka milo, but sometimes the Neuse floods the banks and the hole(s) are too costly to plant for that much risk. That is the reason I can not plant corn also and why I'm looking an aquatic plant.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Just for your back up Hyde--
"On Catahoula Lake in Louisiana, chufa supplied fifty-seven percent of the diet of mallards; sixty-seven percent for pintails, and averaged sixty-seven percent of food items eaten by widgeon, green-winged teal, blue-winged teal, ringnecks, canvasbacks, and lesser scaup. Researchers reported that chufa ranked tenth of all waterfowl foods in the United States and Canada, and ranked third in the Mississippi Valley region." - South Carolina Waterfowl Association : book on chufa. :eek:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:59 pm

As for rice not putting on grain my guess would be you did what I did the 1st time I planted it. Not enough fert. use 500 lbs 5-10-10 or 250lbs 10-20-20 when you plant. Then when it gets 8 inches put 200lbs urea (45-0-0) or some other high N product that will give you 80-90 units of N. At the same time add 1-4 inches of water and keep water on it from then on. That water will really keep the weed out. (rice seed 75-100 lbs per acre) On the Chufa most years I plant about end of May ...Flood it mid Sept. hunt all 3 seasons and youth day, leave it flooded until March ,then drain it and let it draw turkeys in. WEEDS are the biggest problem , if it is not clean and weed free , it gives up.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Rice takes 110 days to grow. late May will work.....did not plant until the 1st week of June and it still did well this year.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting