Duck Leases

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Duck Leases

Postby woodiewagon20 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:23 am

Any beaver ponds or duck clubs in western NC? I know its not anything close to the outer banks, but I'm from Northeast GA and looking for a private spot. Just looking for a place that holds some wood ducks. Not looking for the most magnificent tract of land this side of the Mississippi River.
woodiewagon20
hunter

Re: Duck Leases

Postby tsmart » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:34 pm

woodiewagon20 wrote:Any beaver ponds or duck clubs in western NC?

:lol:
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby tsmart » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Now that I've stopped laughing....

No duck clubs in Western NC.
We are in the far end of the fly way.
You won't find a duck club here.

Most of us go east, to at least the Piedmont.
The further east you go, the better hunting.

If you just want a wood duck, there's beaver ponds and marshes on any body of water here in the west, that will hold wood ducks during the Oct season. The Oct season is 4 days long. Then they wood ducks start moving out.

So plan to go east... sooner, or later... if ya wanna have a decent chance at killing anything.

Good luck.
T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby woodiewagon20 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:06 pm

I did specify that I know duck hunting sucks in west NC by saying that its no where close to the outer banks. (Which is eastern NC)
Man, I'm just lookin for a place to hunt without the hassle working my butt off for one duck on a crowded lake in north ga. Just lookin to satisfy my thirst before I can go do my once-per-year trip to Arkansas
woodiewagon20
hunter

Postby tsamp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Don't come east then! This place has some of the worst crowding I have seen! You goto a ramp in a ducky area count on at least 10 rigs with trailers parked at 1-2AM already heading out to the impoundments. Save the gas money and go guided if I was you! The only reason I didn't do that the past couple seasons is due to my hard head and the fact I am to close to complain about gas. Plus I rise early during season[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:02 pm

My family farms in western Iredell Co. just off I-40 between Hickory and Statesville. We do not lease and it is not a membership hunting club. We do have fee hunting and this year I took 16 groups hunting during the regular season, we picked up 186 ducks which comes to about 11.6 ducks per hunt. Group size is set different for each hunt, if I scout an impound and there are very good numbers there many be 7 or 8 hunters, other times 4 or 5 would be taken. This past year I planted 5 impoundments with rice, millet, chufa and did not use corn for the first time in 20 years (will plant some this season), and late planted a 6th pond which was purchased and flashboard riser installed just in time to grow a jap. millet crop. So ease up on western NC duck hunting. If you grow and flood crops, moist soil weed, and timber, then limit the hunting it can work the big difference is you will not see thousands of ducks as you might down east or in the mid-west ( I love duck hunting Neb. ) but may times we see over 100 ducks in a morning and over 90% want to land in our impound.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Postby tsamp » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:12 am

grayhouse farms wrote:My family farms in western Iredell Co. just off I-40 between Hickory and Statesville. We do not lease and it is not a membership hunting club. We do have fee hunting and this year I took 16 groups hunting during the regular season, we picked up 186 ducks which comes to about 11.6 ducks per hunt. Group size is set different for each hunt, if I scout an impound and there are very good numbers there many be 7 or 8 hunters, other times 4 or 5 would be taken. This past year I planted 5 impoundments with rice, millet, chufa and did not use corn for the first time in 20 years (will plant some this season), and late planted a 6th pond which was purchased and flashboard riser installed just in time to grow a jap. millet crop. So ease up on western NC duck hunting. If you grow and flood crops, moist soil weed, and timber, then limit the hunting it can work the big difference is you will not see thousands of ducks as you might down east or in the mid-west ( I love duck hunting Neb. ) but may times we see over 100 ducks in a morning and over 90% want to land in our impound.

100% correct! I agree with you. But still you got land with ducks. He don't haha.. Unless he does I don't know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting