Teal Season to become draw

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Teal Season to become draw

Postby skeeter91 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:42 am

Heard through the grapevine that their will be no more open hunting for early teal in North Carolina maintained impoundments (Goose Creek, J Morgan, etc.) If anyone else hears more about this I would really like to know more information. If this is true, we can all thank the idiotic people who don't understand the difference between a black duck and a blue wing teal, as well as the tards that decide to set up 50 yrds from people then shoot in the direction of other people.
skeeter91
hunter

Re: Teal Season to become draw

Postby tsamp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:38 am

I am surprised they were not doing that already the way people hunt in this state. Met some nice folks here doing my stint! But I have met some real jerks too. I feel bad for ethical hunters who get crapped on because of the idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:23 am

If it is such an issue why do you hunt there?
NC's sounds have hundreds if not thousands of miles of coastline and navigable waters where an enterprising hunter can go. Oh yeah, a few rich people have tied up quite a bit of North Carolina's citizens best shoreline but there are still other places to go.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby tsamp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:29 am

Well myself personally i am not experienced in hunting large sounds and coastal waters. Mississippi flyway born and raised. If I lived here for a few more years and had a bigger boat I'd prolly venture out further. Regardless I prolly had a better season with my group than others that hunted less pressured areas, so no complaints on my end! Just surprised with all the lack of respect from other hunters in some areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:05 am

You couldnt ever hunt futch for teal season I dont believe. I have heard the other permit places could be good. Unfortunately we are our own worse enemies and we cause the need for permits in areas that used to be open. Unfortunately that is the future of public hunting in NC.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:27 am

I am surprised it hasn't happened earlier. I was at the opener last year at one and I counted 34 boats goto within 2 impoundments.....a saw a pintail and 2 blacks get blasted. Thank God there was 7 green jeans out there..... man :no:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 am

NCfowl wrote:I am surprised it hasn't happened earlier. I was at the opener last year at one and I counted 34 boats goto within 2 impoundments.....a saw a pintail and 2 blacks get blasted. Thank God there was 7 green jeans out there..... man :no:

To add to that, even the places that are permitted are having to be regulated more to keep us in line. Look at Futch. It was a permit hunt but it was originally set up as a free for all. Then it went to 3 different sections and you could hunt wherever you wanted within your section. Now it is 3 different sections with permanent blind locations. Its really a shame.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Duck hunters are the worst of the lot. Really. :sad:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby skeeter91 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Death to the cyberscouters
skeeter91
hunter

Postby skeeter91 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:16 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:If it is such an issue why do you hunt there?
NC's sounds have hundreds if not thousands of miles of coastline and navigable waters where an enterprising hunter can go. Oh yeah, a few rich people have tied up quite a bit of North Carolina's citizens best shoreline but there are still other places to go.

HydeMarsh,
Since when did you become Bill Gates? Also, do you have a life other than duck hunting? A family, maybe a job? People don't have oodles of time and money just laying around these days to just pour into scouting for teal on the sound in SEPTEMBER! Most people don't have the resources or time, so they choose the safer/easy route. To your "rich" person comment, most people that own marsh land in North Carolina have had it in their families for centuries "cough cough" Ralph Morris. Im sure you know who that is since you know so much about the thousands of miles of navigable coastline in North Carolina. Gave the guy who sold him the land more money because Ralph felt bad about the price he bought it for..also same with the Gibbs family in Hyde County. How about doing a little research on landownership before you come jawing about people needing to be enterprising hunters and "rich" folk.
skeeter91
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu May 01, 2014 7:57 pm

skeeter91 wrote:

HydeMarsh,
Since when did you become Bill Gates? Also, do you have a life other than duck hunting? A family, maybe a job? People don't have oodles of time and money just laying around these days to just pour into scouting for teal on the sound in SEPTEMBER! Most people don't have the resources or time, so they choose the safer/easy route. To your "rich" person comment, most people that own marsh land in North Carolina have had it in their families for centuries "cough cough" Ralph Morris. Im sure you know who that is since you know so much about the thousands of miles of navigable coastline in North Carolina. Gave the guy who sold him the land more money because Ralph felt bad about the price he bought it for..also same with the Gibbs family in Hyde County. How about doing a little research on landownership before you come jawing about people needing to be enterprising hunters and "rich" folk.

Skeeter, you need to lighten up on the hostility. As far as the rich folks comments I was referring to "out of state owners" such as JJ and the more prosperous at Jones Island that were behind the Safe Hunter law that took most of the good hunting shoreline in Pamlico county away from us ordinary folks. This has been quite a contentious topic on this forum.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from Bill Gates. Just an old hunter who is pretty familiar with who owns what and if I don't know and need to know, I know how to find out.

Most of your comments make no sense in the context of how I wrote them. you seem to be a pathetic example of how poorly our school systems are preparing some individuals, or maybe the old saying of "you cannot make chicken salad out of chicken manure" so it is not the school systems fault that you have no analytic skills.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu May 01, 2014 8:36 pm

Quote from Skeeter91 "To your "rich" person comment, most people that own marsh land in North Carolina have had it in their families for centuries "cough cough" Ralph Morris. Im sure you know who that is since you know so much about the thousands of miles of navigable coastline in North Carolina. Gave the guy who sold him the land more money because Ralph felt bad about the price he bought it for..also same with the Gibbs family in Hyde County."

To Skeeter91 - Oh wise one, I hunt in Hyde, sometimes Dare and Pamlico. there is only one Instance of a Ralph Morris owning land in those three counties unless he has them in a LLC or trust. He owns 14 acres in Pamlico but is is not sound front. Does have a small impoundment on it. What does any of this have to do with the Gibbs in Hyde? A lot of em there. they own a lot of land and have sold a lot of land and will probably continue to buy and sell.

To my earlier point what do any of your comments to me have to do with the original post? I was just asking a question as to why you were so concerned about the crowds in a public impoundment. if you had answered that in spite of the crowds the hunting was good i would have understood. if it is not, then why not try the sounds and bays. unfortunately much of Pamlico's are off limits 500 yards from the shore.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:51 am

I wish they would fill every public impoundment in the state in with cement. They are nothing more than breeding grounds for idiots
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri May 02, 2014 5:48 am

HydeMarsh wrote:
skeeter91 wrote:

HydeMarsh,

Skeeter, you need to lighten up on the hostility. As far as the rich folks comments I was referring to "out of state owners" such as JJ and the more prosperous at Jones Island that were behind the Safe Hunter law that took most of the good hunting shoreline in Pamlico county away from us ordinary folks. This has been quite a contentious topic on this forum.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from Bill Gates. Just an old hunter who is pretty familiar with who owns what and if I don't know and need to know, I know how to find out.

Most of your comments make no sense in the context of how I wrote them. you seem to be a pathetic example of how poorly our school systems are preparing some individuals, or maybe the old saying of "you cannot make chicken salad out of chicken manure" so it is not the school systems fault that you have no analytic skills.

Oh so its "out of state owners" that are the problem. What is wrong with being from out of state and owning land and hunting in NC?? I have hunted in NC my whole life and my family owns land there and I am a member of a hunt club. Is there something wrong with us owning land that only we can hunt and "tie up marsh" for the last 40 years?? Is it such a problem that I have enjoyed hunting in NC and am lucky enough and work hard enough to be able to hunt private land??

KAhunter
hunter

Postby merg » Fri May 02, 2014 6:32 am

Too many hunters crammed into too little area is the problem. With all due respect, and I mean that, hunters from bordering states who mention they hunt just across the state line in NC-on every single post on their home state site- ain't doin us nor themselves any favors. Unless, of course, they only hunt private here-then they're just screwing the rest of us.
Just something to consider.....
merg
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri May 02, 2014 6:59 am

How am I screwing yall by owning land and hunting that land in NC??

KAhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Fri May 02, 2014 7:17 am

KAhunter wrote:How am I screwing yall by owning land and hunting that land in NC??

The 2 most common ways are abusing the hunter safety law and tying up public waters for private use and building blinds on public lands and claiming private ownership of them.
Perhaps neither apply to you, but these are common reoccurring examples.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby skeeter91 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:05 am

HydeMarsh,
My hostility? Looks like your getting pretty hostile. Your information about Ralph is I am sorry to say but its extremely inaccurate. I have met the old man, and know the group of people from New Bern personally who currently own his actually massive 600 acre sound side impoundment. I actually went to school with one of the owners sons. You did not. I have also been out to his impoundments. You have not. I've hunted them. You have not.

You have no right to put down people from out of state either. I honestly don't care about what immature shots you take at me, but KAhunter has been on this forum a lot longer than you have and I could care less if he is from out of state. If he owns private land he isn't hurting anything. The out of state hunters who hunt private land here are still helping our states economy. Sorry that you aren't fortunate enough to own any private land at the proclaimed "COAST". I am sure we wouldn't be having the conversation if you did. If you haven't figured out, since I mean you hunted for years, you are wasting your time hunting public waters. Ducks cost money these days.

Why are you bring up the school systems? This is a duck hunting forum/blog, who cares about grammar and syntax. Yeah may make me look more intelligent as a person but acting like you know everything when you don't makes you look unintelligent sir.
skeeter91
hunter

Postby merg » Fri May 02, 2014 9:12 am

KAhunter wrote:How am I screwing yall by owning land and hunting that land in NC??

You are not screwing us by owning and hunting land in NC. However, when you are a respected poster on multiple Va forums, post frequently, and in almost EVERY one of those posts you make it a point to say you also hunt in NC you are not helping the overcrowding situation here. All of us who hunt the NE have seen a vast increase in Va hunters. There is one state draw impoundment here where the Va hunters outnumber NC hunters 2-1. Those are lost opportunities for NC hunters.
You started a thread this past season blasting people (and rightly so) for "bragging" about public spots and causing overcrowding.
You also made a great point in that thread-that its not the serious hunter you are informing, he already knows-its the lazy slob hunters you are helping. .
I'm simply pointing out that, in effect, you are doing the same thing on a much broader scale by announcing to entire state of VA where you hunt. What is the purpose of telling everyone where you hunt? What do you get out of that?
Do you not think that when you (a well respected poster) starts a thread on the VA forum titled " Who Else Hunts in NC?" which goes on to say you love it down here, used to hunt Currituck but now have moved south for better hunting....... 50 Va dudes aren't on google earth getting ideas about new horizons to hunt? It very well could be that you screwed yourself out of the draw hunt you were angry about missing. There are about 1.5 million Va. folks living within an hour or so of where you and I hunt. Constantly announcing to them that there is good hunting only an hour or so south isn't a good way to keep the crowds down IMHO.
Last edited by merg on Fri May 02, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
merg
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri May 02, 2014 9:47 am

"KA", nothing wrong with people from out of state owning land and hunting. my only issue is a few people that are very rich have bought land along the waterfront and use their influence to control public water for 500 yards in Pamlico county. Not an issue where i primarily hunt.

I am a big advocate for private ownership and no poaching on the land of another. It is the control of public water that conerns me and a number of other people on this forum.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Fri May 02, 2014 10:45 am

OK, let me get something straight.

So what your really trying to say is that I should just forget about coming to the coast this year for teal. I have never done it and was thinking about giving it a try. That now seams like the thing not to do. I should just stay home and shoot geese and coyotes.

Good to know.

Thanks.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri May 02, 2014 12:43 pm

merg wrote:

You are not screwing us by owning and hunting land in NC. However, when you are a respected poster on multiple Va forums, post frequently, and in almost EVERY one of those posts you make it a point to say you also hunt in NC you are not helping the overcrowding situation here. All of us who hunt the NE have seen a vast increase in Va hunters. There is one state draw impoundment here where the Va hunters outnumber NC hunters 2-1. Those are lost opportunities for NC hunters.
You started a thread this past season blasting people (and rightly so) for "bragging" about public spots and causing overcrowding.
You also made a great point in that thread-that its not the serious hunter you are informing, he already knows-its the lazy slob hunters you are helping. .
I'm simply pointing out that, in effect, you are doing the same thing on a much broader scale by announcing to entire state of VA where you hunt. What is the purpose of telling everyone where you hunt? What do you get out of that?
Do you not think that when you (a well respected poster) starts a thread on the VA forum titled " Who Else Hunts in NC?" which goes on to say you love it down here, used to hunt Currituck but now have moved south for better hunting....... 50 Va dudes aren't on google earth getting ideas about new horizons to hunt? It very well could be that you screwed yourself out of the draw hunt you were angry about missing. There are about 1.5 million Va. folks living within an hour or so of where you and I hunt. Constantly announcing to them that there is good hunting only an hour or so south isn't a good way to keep the crowds down IMHO.

Well I must say I actually agree with you on this. I see what you are saying and will take note on my fufture posts. I havent really looked at it that way nor did I mean to cause any harm. I have always tried to be very non-specific (and I think I have been) but I agree with you. Unfortunately, even what I have said, which until now I thought as innocent, can be harmful. Good point Merg. I have been humbled (a little ) on DHC haha

KAhunter
hunter

Postby merg » Fri May 02, 2014 1:11 pm

No intent to humble here man-you're a good poster and a solid fowler.
Classy post
merg
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Hold up.....What just happened? Am I still in the NC forum of Duck Chat? Lol, well said and without hate or disrespect merg and KA. Cheers ;)
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Tue May 06, 2014 10:33 am

the only benefit to going draw-only for the hunter...is it limits the # of parties in there. it wont help with bird ID (shooting pintail, black duck, etc.), nor will it help any type of saftey concern (shooting in someone's direction)....both concerns mentioned earlier by other posters.

this is a minor revenue generator to go draw only (very minor) and the change is most likely in response to over-crowding mentioned by hunters

I say make it all draw only (teal, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan) and when you draw an impound, that's it for the yr. If you get it in Sept for teal...thats you're chance. Might make a few folks think about it.
duk-cmdr
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting