Target Shooting on Game Lands

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Target Shooting on Game Lands

Postby jmichaels » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:10 am

Hello, it is a pain in the butt trying to get some farmer to allow you to shoot skeet on their property. And most of us dont have the space of our own to do it. So i just figured it was ok to shoot on game lands. I had a sheriff come out there and tell me otherwise. I needed a definitive answer. Yes or No. The answer is Yes. I called the wildlife enforcement branch at 9197070030 and asked. She said it is legal. I know in the off season we are all trying to get some target practice in. Let er rip fellow waterfowlers.
jmichaels
hunter

Re: Target Shooting on Game Lands

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:18 pm

One reason farmers don't want skeet shot on the property is because busted skeet and livestock don't mix. Plus the skeet leave a mess on the land.

I would double check if I were you if it was legal to shoot skeet on game lands. I could very easily see you being ticketed for littering.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu May 01, 2014 8:54 am

Also, if you shoot skeet just before or during turkey or deer season you could add to the bad reputation of duck hunters. in addition you might encounter people that will not be a pleasant as the sheriff. Join a hunting club or lease some land. it is not that expensive.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Thu May 01, 2014 8:26 pm

From page 63 of the Regulations Digest..." Use of game lands for purposes other than hunting, trapping
and fishing is subject to the control of the landowners."

I'd be very careful of target shooting on game lands, without first getting specific permission from the property owner, or the state.

Additionally, several game lands prohibit the possession of firearms, other than a short barreled .22 pistol, for use as a side arm, during closed seasons or on closed days during open seasons.
wahoowilly
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting