Target Shooting on Game Lands

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Target Shooting on Game Lands

Postby jmichaels » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:10 am

Hello, it is a pain in the butt trying to get some farmer to allow you to shoot skeet on their property. And most of us dont have the space of our own to do it. So i just figured it was ok to shoot on game lands. I had a sheriff come out there and tell me otherwise. I needed a definitive answer. Yes or No. The answer is Yes. I called the wildlife enforcement branch at 9197070030 and asked. She said it is legal. I know in the off season we are all trying to get some target practice in. Let er rip fellow waterfowlers.
jmichaels
hunter

Re: Target Shooting on Game Lands

Postby EastBound&Down » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:18 pm

One reason farmers don't want skeet shot on the property is because busted skeet and livestock don't mix. Plus the skeet leave a mess on the land.

I would double check if I were you if it was legal to shoot skeet on game lands. I could very easily see you being ticketed for littering.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Thu May 01, 2014 8:54 am

Also, if you shoot skeet just before or during turkey or deer season you could add to the bad reputation of duck hunters. in addition you might encounter people that will not be a pleasant as the sheriff. Join a hunting club or lease some land. it is not that expensive.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Thu May 01, 2014 8:26 pm

From page 63 of the Regulations Digest..." Use of game lands for purposes other than hunting, trapping
and fishing is subject to the control of the landowners."

I'd be very careful of target shooting on game lands, without first getting specific permission from the property owner, or the state.

Additionally, several game lands prohibit the possession of firearms, other than a short barreled .22 pistol, for use as a side arm, during closed seasons or on closed days during open seasons.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby redyota » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:56 pm

On some gamelands it is legal and on some it is illegal it's case by case. But please don't shoot up the signs and take your paper jugs, cans, and trash with you when you leave
redyota
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:36 am

WRC is in the process of establising shooting ranges on select GL's. All other GL's will be closed to target shooting.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Go to a gun club and shoot shoot in a controlled safe environment. The cost would be maybe couple bucks more but the other options is not worth the hassle.
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Michaels, as you opened your post you stated what a pain in the butt it was to deal with some farmer to use his land. Try to understand that in the 1950s about 43% of the nation were farmers, today farmers make up less than 1%. There are fewer farmers and a lot more of you. It is hard to believe but most farmers have had things go bad when they open their land up. There are some great sportsmen landowners (which may also be farmers) that may make a connection with you, it might take a while to find them. Just as HydeMarsh said, get some buddies and lease a small plot for hunting and shooting and build your relationship with the landowner, it may open new doors. Few people understand what farmers do for this country, one feeds 120 people and about 1/3 of what farmers produce is sold to other countries. They do ALOT to keep this nation afloat.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:17 pm

The easiest place to go is spoil islands along the river/ICW. We have a couple around here that everyone goes to.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Paul26 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:17 pm

I was shooting my 9mm pistol in the croatan game lands a few years ago and a carteret county sherrif came to visit. He said I was violating the law. Not knowing enough to argue, I pleaded ignorance and got away with a warning. Question: who is land owner of the croatan I go to ask permission? It is a national forest.

Wahoo wildly:Are you saying that State game lands actually have private owners?

Confused in Stella.
Paul26
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Some gameland property is owned by people or corporations that turn over control to the State to be run as gamelands. As a standard practice, like wahoo mentioned it isn't a good idea to target practice/shoot on GL unless you have specific knowledge of the legality on that particular land.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Paul26 wrote:I was shooting my 9mm pistol in the croatan game lands a few years ago and a carteret county sherrif came to visit. He said I was violating the law. Not knowing enough to argue, I pleaded ignorance and got away with a warning. Question: who is land owner of the croatan I go to ask permission? It is a national forest.

Wahoo wildly:Are you saying that State game lands actually have private owners?

Confused in Stella.

You cannot target shoot while on the Croatan game lands. You CAN target shoot off of the game lands. It's a National Forest. Completely legal.
Read this:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/new ... PRD3793780
MSparks909
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:02 pm

If you look in the GL map book it will tell you who the owners are. Some are government agencies, some are NGO's, and some are privately owned. The WRC leases the hunting rights on many GL's. Bladen Lakes State Forest is owned by the NC Forest Service but the WRC leases the hunting rights. TNC leases the hunting rights to WRC as well. That is why some Gl's have restrictions above what the WRC would like. Bear hunting is closed on several GL's because the landowners do not want bear hunting. It's their land, they can do with it what they want.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting