Teal guide Easter NC

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Teal guide Easter NC

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:00 am

Gents,
I'm gettin back from a deployment right before teal season and my hunting buddy is leaving on one during season so we have a short window to hit a few birds together. It got us thinkin about getting a guide to get one heck of a huntin day. Obviously it won't be my only hunt of the year but it'll be just about the only one for my friend so we want to do it right.

As such anyone got good recommendations for guides in eastern NC? I don't mind drivin a bit so pamlico is in play.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Re: Teal guide Easter NC

Postby NCfowl » Sat May 17, 2014 2:35 pm

You'll have to wait and see especially if some guides use the impoundments. Heard it may be draws
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Yeah saw those threads. Regardless of that, y'all have any personal favorite y'all might recommend?
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sat May 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Teal season is to hit or miss in NC to hire a guide, I doubt there are any legit guides who actually take parties out on early teal
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Metalman » Sat May 17, 2014 5:58 pm

I usually offer a blast and cast. We usually catch more fish than teal.
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sun May 18, 2014 6:31 pm

I'd take capt Gary up on his cast and blast bluesky. I don't know of a better guide and person that will work his arse off to make it happen for his clients. And he is more than reasonable. But as said, BW teal are definitely hit and miss, the fish usually cooperate that time of year.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby tsamp » Sun May 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Hit the salt marshes around base if you don't end up getting a guide. You may do ok! Otherwise the impoundments will be a good option.
tsamp
hunter

Postby tsamp » Sun May 18, 2014 7:22 pm

Oh and as fare as making em a draw, they would wait till next season I would guess, considering that teal season is in a few months. Unless they are already doin the draw???? idK! I am out NC soon and back to the Mississippi fly way, but good luck to you.
tsamp
hunter

Postby skeeter91 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:55 am

Best bet would be to put money in taking a trip to Texas or Louisana. South of Houston, and even North of Houston offers some pretty awesome blue wing action. There aren't many teal in Eastern NC to even try to spend your money on or fight with crowds
skeeter91
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Yeah I'd like to do that but the odds of getting to go on leave with a time that coincides with pre deployment training for my buddy and post deployment for me is a little tough. Might have to look into the cast and blast

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Tue May 20, 2014 8:17 am

NCfowl wrote:You'll have to wait and see especially if some guides use the impoundments. Heard it may be draws

Oh my. I'm guessing since you mentioned it, that it must happen. But, I would be one pissed off customer if I enlisted the services of a guide, who in turn put me into a public impoundment. I guess if you're new to the sport or dont have another way to get there.
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:38 am

I'd agree with that. I'm not new to it and do all my own huntin in NC AL and MS so yea if they took me to a spot that I could easily access with my own gear and dog it'd be a little frustrating. I just figure a good day with a guide would be a bad ass send off

Bluesky2012
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting