Millet planting for doves questions

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Millet planting for doves questions

Postby On the X » Sun May 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Guys, when is the best time to plant, best variety and how much per acre in central NC?
On the X
hunter

Re: Millet planting for doves questions

Postby HydeMarsh » Sun May 18, 2014 9:04 pm

early to mid June - I have not had good luck attracting doves with brown top. Japanese and Pearl millet have worked the best. If you have sandy soil and not a lot of rain (which can happen) Pearl Millet will still produce. If you can get some sunflowers in right away i would do that. Not a bad idea to mix these two in a field along with sunflowers. you can get a good, legal shoot this way.

fertilize at the recommended rates. For best results hit it with 34% nitrogen in July just before a rain event.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Thu May 22, 2014 9:21 pm

I agree with HydeMarsh on the jap.millet it is a 60-70 days to mature millet as are browntop and prozo white. However pearl millet takes 90-100 days, and my past dealings with sunflowers, is if not planted by mid-May then they are not dry enough. Seeding rates...if you disk and broadcast 25 lbs.of millet per acre. Drill rate 10 - 15 lbs. per acre . All the millets will work on doves, what the dove have to do to get to the seed will have more to do with your attraction as what type millet. Doves are a WEAK leg bird that does not want to climb over a lot of clutter.(if your dove plot was pavement with millet seed and a pool of water to the side... Homerun ! ) Keep your ground as clean as you can. If you have a drill, maybe tape off every other drop to give you 14 inch rows instead of 7 in. Making hay is always good, shakes the seed out and picks up the stems. Try leaving small strips of millet standing...dove like getting in the shade, and with wide rows should have bare ground to pick seed off of. A soil test will tell you how and what fert. to use but, at least 150 lbs. at planting and another 50-100 lbs high N fert. at 8-10 inch tall with a rain event coming. Good Luck !
grayhouse farms
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Thu May 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Last post fertilize 150 lbs. (10-10-10 ) at planting or 80 lbs. 19-19-19 , soil test even better.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri May 23, 2014 3:35 pm

i agree with Greyhouse, when I posted we were in the closing stages of a window for planting sunflowers and pearl millet. I shoot doves all season so pearl works where I am later in the season.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:28 pm

What and when should you use to fertilize jap millet and rice and do you guys spray any nitrogen on either?
NCfowl
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:32 pm

I only use liquid nitrogen pre- planting or right after planting before plants come up. It is a good way to get N in your soil, but it can burn or kill your plants. Soil test will tell you how much you need and also what the ph of your soil is. If your soil is acid and needs lime it will not be able to use the fertilize that you put out. In the absence of a soil test I would say put out 150 lbs. -200 lbs. of 10-10-10 or 100 lbs. of 19-19-19 at planting and when the millet or rice is about 8 inches tall put 80 units of N on when a rain event is certain . (80 units= 160 lbs. 50-0-0 or 240 lbs. 33-0-0 ) and if the land you are planting on was just cleared or has not had lime put on in the last 5 years then put 2 tons of lime to the acre. SOIL TEST !!! SOIL TEST !!!
grayhouse farms
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting