Help a new guy out (guide/location/boats)

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Postby NCnewguy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:56 am

I am new to the area and am looking at booking a guided hunt this winter. I am looking at trying to get a mixed bag with as many different ducks as possible. Can anyone recommend a good guide that can put me on some ducks. I am weighing the difference between going to the OBX and staying closer in. Is the hunting worth the trip to the OBX? A pintail has been on the bucket list for years. Thanks for the help. Also shifting gears a little...does anyone with layout boat experience think I could use a PR 49 inflatable to fool some ducks. If you do a quick youtube search for PR49 you will see the boat size color etc. Thought the profile might be a little much but wanted to get some thoughts on the matter.
NCnewguy
hunter

Re: Help a new guy out (guide/location/boats)

Postby NCfowl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:11 pm

If you want a pintail, there is no for sure but Ocracoke is your best bet. Wade Austin or Earl Gaskins
NCfowl
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:28 am

that pr 49 could be useful in some aspects I guess. its definitely high profile. it would really depend on how well it anchors and can handle various seas. its not always slic cam and seas change and u don't wanna swamp it I imagine.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:40 am

Its like $1550 bucks isnt it?? I would just buy a layout boat.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby pamlicopounder » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 am

Call Capt. Guion with Green Creek Outfitters & Guide Service. 252-617-0024 He is an awsome guide who really knows how to put you on the spot. He is based in Pamlico County and hunts with a scissor rig. He always meets our expectations. :thumbsup:
pamlicopounder
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:41 pm

pamlicopounder wrote:Call Capt. Guion with Green Creek Outfitters & Guide Service. 252-617-0024 He is an awsome guide who really knows how to put you on the spot. He is based in Pamlico County and hunts with a scissor rig. He always meets our expectations. :thumbsup:

lol nice
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting