Permit Hunt Opportunities

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Permit Hunt Opportunities

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:35 am

As this is my first post, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm originally from Maryland (not sure why I left now that I'm back into duck hunting) and used to duck hunt the Potomac in middle school, now living in NC and got back into it after graduating college. I've only been back in it two years but it is highly addictive and has become a real passion of mine.

Noticed today the permit hunt application is available on the Alvin system. I called the NCWRC office to ask about regular season waterfowl permit only hunts and they confirmed my suspicions that it would be wise to wait until the regular season dates are released prior to applying for permit hunts since you need to specify dates in the process of applying.

I've never applied for these permits until this year so bear with me - when specifying your date choices in order of preference, is there an issue if you apply for several different impoundments/game lands and the dates overlap? It was hard to read between the lines of what the lady on the phone told me but she basically said I would only get selected for one of the game lands if the dates overlapped since I "couldn't be in two places at one time". Just wondering how people typically go about applying to several different game lands/impoundments unless you just specify one date choice and hope the stars align properly.

Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Re: Permit Hunt Opportunities

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:14 am

It's the best $5.00 you will ever spend. Take a lawn chair and a lunch. Game Lands are better than any reality TV show you will ever see. The secret is to set up far enough away from the other "hunters" so that you can watch them safely. The attempts at calling are down right hilarious! Imagine a Hairyhead barrelling down into an impoundment and a dozen "hunters" (they love to be called that) opening up with their MALLARD calls followed in quick succession by a volley of 20, 30, hell, maybe even 40 shots! Talk about old fashioned fun. It's better than the clown act at the circus. :lol3:

Oh, one more thing. I would recommend a coastal draw if at all possible. Those guys down there really put on a show. :thumbsup:

Try not to pick the same days on the GL's. Spread them out if you can. And bring a gun so that you will blend in. Shells are optional.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:20 pm

Off topic

But first come first serve blinds in a g.l that's permit draw is stupid. I saw that and can't wrap my finger around it. So there is say 4 parties that get the draw, you can't enter the impoundment until 4 so at 4 everybody jumps in the canoe or runs down the dike punching and jabbing for a certain blind? Why couldn't they just leave it how it was last year?
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:46 am

id just see what you could do in Maryland. Since you already know the area. take a couple of trips there and then hunt around charlotte the rest of the time. certainly zoo ish getting into the party draws.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:01 am

One thing I haven't quite pinpointed is what people mean when they refer to hunting on "the coast". I talked to a guy who was telling me him and his group of hunting friends went to hunt the coast. now the body of water they were talking about in my opinion is a solid hour and a half from the coast. if im thinking the coast Im thinking I can see the ocean. just my opinion.
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:15 am

ducking&diving,

Wish it was that easy, but I don't own a boat, usually I hunt with a buddy of mine who has one. The 6 hour drive from Charlotte to Maryland isn't exactly regularly practical either. I also really don't know the area well that I hunted years ago, its been about 10 years and I was still pretty young (didn't think to make mental notes on that when I was in 7th grade).

Anyone care to answer my initial question? Just trying to figure out how to most effectively apply to more than one permit hunt.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 am

Don't put so much thought into the permit hunt selection. It is a lottery drawing and you arn't guaranteed to get anything. Odds are you can choose up to 5 hunt choices, 3 dates per choice which equal 15 potential hunt permits, and you will probably only get chosen for 2 hunts. The permit hunts really aren't all that and all you are guaranteed is the potential opportunity to kill a duck. Choosing a hunt date months out in advance might only get you a 80degree blue bird day in December and you might not even see a duck. If you are basing your hunting season on permit hunts you would be best off to go on 1or 2 guided trips or pick up another hobby.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:07 am

Mix your selection dates throughout the season on days you know you can hunt if you get selected. If you get selected for 3 different hunts cross your fingers that at least 1 of them falls on a duck killing weather day.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:11 am

I'm fully aware that there are no guarantees, and I understand how a lottery drawing works. My confusion came from the fact that the woman at the NCWRC told me over the phone that none of my date choices for each permit could overlap.I can only hunt weekends due to work, so let's hypothetically say it's still 2013 and I was planning for the 2013-2014 season, that allows for a total of 12 potential "date choices" in my book, meaning I could apply for up to four different permits (not saying I would, just thinking hypothetically). Is this logic correct?
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:35 am

Since you are fully aware and understand everything, I don't think I can be of farther assistance to you.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:38 am

Touche, and for the record, it's spelled "further".
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:52 am

Imagine that..... Another newbie Piedmonter on the forum
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:27 pm

You caught me.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:23 am

I would buy a boat of some sort if I were you.
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:30 am

to answer your intital question...yes, there can be overlap.

If you have overlap in the same game land on the same day though...

Take Goose Creek for instance, you chose PP1, CC1, PP2, CC2, and Hobucken as your choices all for Opening Day...being selected for 1 choice removes you from the others. (can't be 2 places at once)

But, there is nothing saying you cant be selected for Goose Creek for the opener, and Futch for the opener. Then you chose where you want to go
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:32 am

you get a first through fifth pick. You hope you get your first pick. I usually try and not overlap my first and second pic. Its impossible to not have some overlapping dates. If you pick the first pick on Jan 1 at one impoundment and your 5th pick at another chances are it wont hurt you. You may have a problem but its very unlikely. You only get booted if you alreayd have the date selected for another place on the same date. I wouldnt worry about it too much I rarely get my first choice with so many people applying now and have never had a date problem. Its tough!!!
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:35 am

Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news but for most good eastern impoundments and spots to hunt, you are looking at a goodd 5 to 6 hour drive from charlotte. Its a haul to the coat.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:06 pm

I can't imagine anyone driving more than an hour to hunt GL's. :no:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:59 am

And even those places aren't great. They become over run with people. which is why I said id see what I could accomplish in Maryland, but its a 6 hour drive. :fingerhead:
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:13 am

duk-cmdr wrote:to answer your intital question...yes, there can be overlap.

If you have overlap in the same game land on the same day though...

Take Goose Creek for instance, you chose PP1, CC1, PP2, CC2, and Hobucken as your choices all for Opening Day...being selected for 1 choice removes you from the others. (can't be 2 places at once)

But, there is nothing saying you cant be selected for Goose Creek for the opener, and Futch for the opener. Then you chose where you want to go

I'm pretty sure you don't get to choose if you are drawn for both. They assign you one of those draws, from what I've been told. Think of the mess WRC would have if all those people with overlapping draws had to be contacted and asked what draw they wanted. They don't have the time/staff to do it and it basically would make them have to start all over again due to the voids or overcrowding of those overlapping draws.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 am

Thank you for all the clarification and info. It may make more sense once I actually go through with the permit application process later on.

ducking&diving,

I actually meant to say I do have a little 8' plastic jon boat I picked up at academy on sale a few months back. Was planning to go the sit-on-top kayak route but the jon boat should be more stable and I have a large deep cycle battery and 45 lb thrust trolling motor. Mostly planned to use it just for the purpose of getting from the ramp to a spot (in no hurry obviously) rather than hunting from it, etc. With it being such a small boat I would only use it on calm days at lakes and stuff more than likely.

Also, while I was up in MD for the 4th I managed to get permission to hunt an old neighbor's farm about an hour from my house so we'll see, might end up doing some hunting up that way around the holidays sometime. I also have a large amount of family on the southernmost part of the western shore of Maryland, I've been meaning to see if a family member down that way could put me in contact with anyone with land or to just let me go along with them.

KAhunter,

Thanks for the heads up, Charlotte's so far from the main flyway I kind of expected that.

But thank you again to everyone for the info.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Make sure you register your jon boat if you put a trolling motor on it as it's required by WRC. Not sure if you knew that.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:38 am

Shurshot,

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I researched that pretty much right after I bought the boat and got a 3 year registration for it. The lady at Bass Pro where I did the registration told me apparently they're about to up prices on the boat registration as well as licenses so I'm glad I did it when I did.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:47 am

Good luck, and wear your life jacket in that thing.
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks, I will be sure to do that. Had three buddies capsize a boat this past season on closing day, none were wearing life vests, all were wearing waders, they were all lucky to survive. I would only plan to use this boat on smaller bodies of water on calm days.

Thank you to everyone for the help.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Next

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting