Permit Hunt Opportunities

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Permit Hunt Opportunities

Postby duk-cmdr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 am

Shurshot wrote:
duk-cmdr wrote:to answer your intital question...yes, there can be overlap.

If you have overlap in the same game land on the same day though...

Take Goose Creek for instance, you chose PP1, CC1, PP2, CC2, and Hobucken as your choices all for Opening Day...being selected for 1 choice removes you from the others. (can't be 2 places at once)

But, there is nothing saying you cant be selected for Goose Creek for the opener, and Futch for the opener. Then you chose where you want to go

I'm pretty sure you don't get to choose if you are drawn for both. They assign you one of those draws, from what I've been told. Think of the mess WRC would have if all those people with overlapping draws had to be contacted and asked what draw they wanted. They don't have the time/staff to do it and it basically would make them have to start all over again due to the voids or overcrowding of those overlapping draws.

The permit holder chooses by showing up at the hunt they want...and be a no-show at the hunt they don't. The WRC does not get involved. I personally have had Futch and Goose Creek draws on the same day and have close buddies with Goose Creek and Mattamuskeet draws on overlapping days.

this was in the last 2-3 yrs...so perhaps something has changed.
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby marsh water » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 am

Hi guys, I dont mean to hijack a site thats not mine, but i am thinking about moving back to good ole' NC from Texas and am a waterfowl hunting fanatic. I make calls, have guided and anything else you can do in duck and goose hunting. This thread sounds kind of depressing. I didnt hunt ducks much when I lived there because I moved my third yr after starting. I even called in the N.C. state calling contest. Are places to hunt really that hard to find out there. We have been in a drought for almost 7 yrs and the lakes I hunt are either officially dry or so low the boat ramps are closed. I would be in the Charlotte area, Stanley to be exact, and have talked to some of the guys that hunt there. they have said they go to Washington to hunt for real but hunt some of the rivers there. So what is the public hunting like and is it possible to get a lease(the texas way). Just trying to find out what I am in for if the move is made to go back home. We have a lot of lakes here and it is possible to get into ducks pretty good if you have patience and scout a lot. Here you cant have a permanent blind on public water or land. comes down at the end of the hunt. No licensing blinds or anything like that. Seems a lot of guys hunt, just trying to gauge the climate. thanks, Ray Finchum
marsh water
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Marsh water

N.c has good hunting. Don't get tied up in the $5 dollar hunt conversation. Their talking about permit draws. I would not reccomemd you going to n.c and attempting being a guide or anything. Being the successful guided either own property at Hyde, own a impoundment, or have hunted n.c their entire life.

I personally love hunting n.c but I also don't Mind a challenge :smile:
The hunting is up, and down, just like every state on the Atlantic fly away.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Google, bing, GIS mapping and yellow pages on line will surprise you. Find places you like, call the landowner. meet up with him and check out the place you have in mind. OFFER HELP, MONEY, WORK, etc.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Einstein » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:15 am

Not sure if you were talking about Lake Norman in that boa, but I would be extraordinarily careful in a plastic 8 footer. Lake Norman ,in the larger parts of the lake, can be extremely rough some mornings. Also, it doesn't help that people act like absolute idiots on that lake. Just because your boat runs 95 mph doesn't mean you should go that fast before the sun comes up.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby Charlottefowlhunter » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:50 pm

No I doubt I would try out a lake as large as Norman. Some parts of the yadkin river chain seem fairly manageable, and because it's so light and versatile I could probably just put in close to a road or bridge near a spot I wanted to hunt rather than trying to put-put there at such a slow rate with the trolling motor all the way from the ramp.
Charlottefowlhunter
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 am

you should take this 8 foot plastic jon boat and load it how you plan on having it loaded to hunt and go see how stable she is gonna be. Hell, you may wanna practice flipping it now while the waters warm just so you have an idea of what it can take and what it cant.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:34 pm

duk-cmdr wrote:
Shurshot wrote:
duk-cmdr wrote:to answer your intital question...yes, there can be overlap.

If you have overlap in the same game land on the same day though...

Take Goose Creek for instance, you chose PP1, CC1, PP2, CC2, and Hobucken as your choices all for Opening Day...being selected for 1 choice removes you from the others. (can't be 2 places at once)

But, there is nothing saying you cant be selected for Goose Creek for the opener, and Futch for the opener. Then you chose where you want to go

I'm pretty sure you don't get to choose if you are drawn for both. They assign you one of those draws, from what I've been told. Think of the mess WRC would have if all those people with overlapping draws had to be contacted and asked what draw they wanted. They don't have the time/staff to do it and it basically would make them have to start all over again due to the voids or overcrowding of those overlapping draws.

The permit holder chooses by showing up at the hunt they want...and be a no-show at the hunt they don't. The WRC does not get involved. I personally have had Futch and Goose Creek draws on the same day and have close buddies with Goose Creek and Mattamuskeet draws on overlapping days.

this was in the last 2-3 yrs...so perhaps something has changed.

It changed about 3 years ago best to my recollection.
Shurshot
hunter

Previous

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting