How many of you guys hunt alone?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

How many of you guys hunt alone?

Postby tjosterh » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:40 pm

How many of you guys hunt alone? Personally I have done it a few times. However, I always like to have a buddy with me in case something happens!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjosterh
hunter

Re: How many of you guys hunt alone?

Postby ducking&diving » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:15 am

carry your retriever. never alone that way.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

ducking&diving wrote:carry your retriever. never alone that way.

Yup.
:thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 am

I always scout alone (hard to get friends to do their due diligence) but have only hunted a few times alone. Scouting alone, hunting alone - what's the difference I guess, right?

This year I foresee myself hunting alone a lot because my normal hunting bud has his balls in a vice with his new girl LOL.

My Labrador is always anxious and ready to go though!
BKScripto
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 pm

I never go hunting without my dog Belle if I can help it. But I do enjoy the few times it is just me and her together. Even on slow days (fortunately it seems I usually do well when I am hunting by myslef) It is still nice to be out there just you and your dog. I think it lets you think and relax and take it all in. I play guide most of the time, which i also enjoy greatly, but a little break 2 or 3 times a season is nice
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby On the X » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:34 pm

I never hunt alone 'cause I would never go without my Son, that being, I never go without another adult, duck hunting can be dangerous, if something happened to me I don't want my 13 year old son to be stuck having to deal with a situation alone. Now with that being said....you guys hunting alone be careful out there as I'm sure theres someone expecting each and everyone of you to come home safe and sound.
On the X
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:05 am

If I hunt from an area I can walk it, it doesn't bother me. If it requires a boat or rough conditions I don't go alone.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby silvermallard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:42 am

I go all the time alone.
I go mostly during the week.
my schedule allows me to hunt mornings and its a nice silence and do note ....I'm married and love my silence from time to time. :smile:
Weekends I usually have a friend or 3 with me and there is always a ton of chatter and laughs
[color=#0000BF]Rock em & Lock em[/color]
silvermallard
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:21 pm

I hunt alone probably 75% of the time. Not many of my friends can get out of work every morning but I usually ask though. I like the quiet so I don't mind

Sent from hades
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby silvermallard » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Also meant to mention....probably the scariest thing is waders in mud....be careful.
I've gotten real close from being sucked in or stuck in mud due to waders!
[color=#0000BF]Rock em & Lock em[/color]
silvermallard
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 pm

I have hunted alone but I only do it in places where I know the waters well enough to walk in and navigate them blind. I don't like hunting alone given the chances for getting stuck and such. Fishing along on the other hand.. Love that.
troutman561
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:34 am

I hunt alone a lot. I generally don't like other duck hunters......they try to shoot MY ducks!
labman63
hunter

Postby Qback5 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:32 am

Interesting thread...neat to see other's views/experiences on this. I personally enjoy hunting alone --- especially during the week as was said before when it's generally quieter (especially on public lands). Weekend hunts I'm usually with a buddy or my dad. I'm looking forward to my young girls (currently 2 and 4 years old) eventually coming with me.
Qback5
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:05 am

On the X wrote:I never hunt alone 'cause I would never go without my Son, that being, I never go without another adult, duck hunting can be dangerous, if something happened to me I don't want my 13 year old son to be stuck having to deal with a situation alone. Now with that being said....you guys hunting alone be careful out there as I'm sure theres someone expecting each and everyone of you to come home safe and sound.

Do not go alone much anymore, my sons are grown and moved on.

South Carolina hunter was found in his boat circling in lake couple years ago with major heart attack, if he had not been found when he was, would have been his last.

On this site last year there was a young man that fell out of his canoe "feeding ducks" and drowned, and another that was shot hunting alone on GMA.

Love hunting alone, sitting quietly, watching ducks, but realize time marches on and just not going to take that chance any more. My 2 cents worth.

Hunt safe. ><>
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:36 pm

I hunt alone about 90% of the time any more. I love it. There are risks to going alone, but I like to go when I want to, and come back when I want to. I don't know that many guys that would sit on the water from daylight til dark(or however long it takes) so I try not to ask anyone if I can help it unless it is a kid. And hunting is a very personal thing to me!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Galactic Ricky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I hunt alone during the week and hunt with my Dad or some knucklehead friend on Saturday. I like hunting alone but I also think out where am I am going very carefully and don't usually get really far away from my point of origin. One of my spots is maybe 500-750 yards away from the landing so I usually go there when the weather is sketchy b/c if the **** hits the fan I can walk the shoreline back.
Galactic Ricky
hunter

Postby merg » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:26 pm

About 50% and don't like to hunt with more than 2 others-prefer one.
merg
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting