Teal Hunting Pamlico

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Teal Hunting Pamlico

Postby AWSmallard » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:40 pm

now that the early season teal dates have been set I am debating visiting a buddy around greenville to do some teal hunting, not asking for spots, just wondering if the pamlico river normally holds a good ammount of teal during the early season, i would scout but live far away from greenville. thanks for any info!
AWSmallard
Newb

Re: Teal Hunting Pamlico

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:57 pm

From here on out don't post specific river questions in the forum. If you have a important question about an area p.m somebody who you see is helpful, and has talked about the area you want to learn about in the past. But for some advice....

Save the gas. The teal are way to unpredictable for you to drive that distance. Pamlico is not the place to go if you have not scouted it before in the daylight anyways. Far too dangerous and things to go wrong.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby Junior Duck Commander » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 pm

honestly man the fishing is so much better during the teal season, and its too damn hot to hunt.
Junior Duck Commander
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:10 pm

I agree with stealfeathers on the teal being unpredictable during teal season. If you have somewhere they are coming to in the morning and are feeding, go there the next day. They literally can leave overnight, sometimes for no apparent reason, but usually weatehr systems or even constant north winds move them in or out easily. We hunt open water for em and some days it is lights out and some days it is completely dead. The best thing you can do for teal is put some time on the water and scout and watch the weather and dont have high expectations.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:28 pm

This is one morning of early teal

This is the next day

After not seeing a bird she decided to lay down
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:53 pm

In that area, expect more boats than birds and the "hunters" will more than triple the number of birds!
NCfowl
hunter

Postby skeeter91 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 am

NCfowl wrote:In that area, expect more boats than birds and the "hunters" will more than triple the number of birds!

Good one Blake
skeeter91
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 am

Hunt with , not him though. :huh:
NCfowl
hunter

Postby tsmart » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 am

AWSmallard wrote:now that the early season teal dates have been set I am debating visiting a buddy around greenville to do some teal hunting, not asking for spots, just wondering if the pamlico river normally holds a good ammount of teal during the early season, i would scout but live far away from greenville. thanks for any info!

Should be a good hunt.
The Mosquito's are as large as teal, so bring extra shells.

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby skeeter91 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:49 am

NCfowl wrote:Hunt with , not him though. :huh:

sure thing
skeeter91
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Bring fishing rods. At least then you can salvage the hunt with fish as opposed to the immense frustration that is known as "ENC Early Teal Season."
MSparks909
hunter

Postby skeeter91 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm

MSparks909 wrote:Bring fishing rods. At least then you can salvage the hunt with fish as opposed to the immense frustration that is known as "ENC Early Teal Season."

Agreed^

Or just dont go at all
skeeter91
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 pm

I go every season. Sometimes its taken me a few trips to finally get on what birds are in the area to have some success. Most of the time I don't, its very hit or miss. I stay away from the Pamlico Co / Goose Creek area.
Dingbatter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting