Any ranges/retailers in Eastern NC that offer demo shotguns?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Any ranges/retailers in Eastern NC that offer demo shotguns?

Postby agtex42 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:14 am

Might not be the right place to ask but do yall know of any places in Eastern NC that offer customers the ability to demo a gun before purchasing? I've got a short-list put together of shotguns that look great on paper but I'd like to be able to do more than just an in-store mount and swing before dropping the money down. Thanks in advance!
agtex42
hunter

Re: Any ranges/retailers in Eastern NC that offer demo shotg

Postby Shurshot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 am

That's going to be a tough one to find but I'd call Shooter's Choice in Wilmington and see if the have any available to shoot. They are an indoors pistol range that does have used firearms (I think some shotguns) for demo/sale.

What shotguns are you interested in?
Shurshot
hunter

Postby agtex42 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:29 pm

I'll have to give them a look, my alternate plan is call around to all the skeet ranges that offer rentals to see if anyone uses what I'm looking for. Primary options in no particular order: Winchester SX3, Browning Silver/Gold, Franchi Affinity, possibly a Beretta 391 or Mauxs but they're a little off my price point.

I really like the Affinity on paper, but the gas guns are not out of my budget and it's tempting to go that route to get a little less felt recoil with heavier loads. From what I've researched, the first three options have essentially the same gas system and all the guns on the list are proven performers, it's all going to come down to which one has the better fit (or can be shimmed/spaced to where I need it to be).
agtex42
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:28 pm

I don't really know of any "public" skeet fields around eastern nc, other than the one at Camp Lejeune. Might have better luck finding a sporting clays range.

You're correct about the gas systems on the Brownings and SX3- the same. Beretta 391 is nice but I thought it had more felt recoil than other gas guns I shoot. Have not shot Maxus or Franchi you speak of so cant speak for recoil but I know Franchi's are generally a light lot.

My main waterfowling gun is the SX3. Never a problem and extremely reliable, including many Sask. trips where the dust is so fine it will stop most autos without daily cleanings. Very soft shooter, and can be made to fit with shims that allow for diff LOPs and casts of the stock. I know and hear of lots of guys that shoot same gun and you just don't hear any complaints. Newer Golds and Silvers same way, just offer a few different features from the Win. Hope this helps some.
Shurshot
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting