Duck Calling Championships

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Duck Calling Championships

Postby HydeMarsh » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:49 pm

I heard that the NC State Duck Calling Championships will be held in August. Not sure where. I have never been to one of these and was not sure what to expect. Therefore, I went on line and viewed one. I would like the opinions of this forum's participants as to how to apply "championship duck calling" to everyday duck hunting.

If any one knows the details on the date and place please advise.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Re: Duck Calling Championships

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:03 pm

2014 NCDU Calling Contests August 23 & 24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contests will be held at Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston, NC

Saturday August 23.

Pamlico Regional: World Qualifier; $1,000 to the winner
NCDU Open Goose
NCDU Open Meat Duck
World Swan
NCDU Open 2 Man Meat Duck

Sunday August 24.

Junior World Swan
NC State Junior Goose
NC State Goose
NC State Junior Duck
NC State Duck: World Qualifier; $1,000 to the winner

Tommie Dale
NCDU Calling Contests Chairman
910-890-5869
tkdale@embarqmail.com
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Oh thanks for the reminder! See ya there
quack-quack
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:35 am

Cool, maybe I can get a few tips on my diver calling! :lol:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:45 am

a main street contest typically does not apply to an everyday hunting situation...my opinion is its more about showcasing the callers ability to run the call and demonstrate the full range the call can produce while "painting a picture" of a hunting situation

there are other contests that more closely resemble a hunting situation and those skills/sounds could be applied in the field with better results
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:33 pm

I just saw this so figured I would post up. Mainstreet calling is all about showcasing your ability to run a call from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. It is about power (to some extent), control, and consistency. No real picture of calling birds. Meat calling is more of a "hunting" scenario. You get the bird's attention, bring them in, then they flare, and you bring them back in. This is all done in 90 seconds.

Our contests will be this weekend at Neuse Sport Shop. Come on out to get in on some great pre-season deals, meet some fellow hunters, and hear and meet some of the best callers in the country!
mayhem96
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:06 am

can someone post up results from the contests this past weekend

callingducks.com doesnt appear to be updated
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:13 pm

I did go and listen and I agree with Mayhem, it is not about duck hunting. It more closely resembeled the try out for a third grade kazoo contest. I hope those guys never hunt near me.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:I did go and listen and I agree with Mayhem, it is not about duck hunting. It more closely resembeled the try out for a third grade kazoo contest. I hope those guys never hunt near me.

Best part about hunting divers... The silence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:58 am

HydeMarsh wrote:I did go and listen and I agree with Mayhem, it is not about duck hunting. It more closely resembeled the try out for a third grade kazoo contest. I hope those guys never hunt near me.

Yea....I bet they`d pull all of your birds. Contest callers are some of the best hunters I`ve met. Most of the time they simply quack in the blind and do very short runs when the birds need it. But when the do quack, it sounds like a real duck

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:00 pm

duk-cmdr wrote:can someone post up results from the contests this past weekend

callingducks.com doesnt appear to be updated

It us updated now.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:02 pm

stumpjumper wrote:

Yea....I bet they`d pull all of your birds. Contest callers are some of the best hunters I`ve met. Most of the time they simply quack in the blind and do very short runs when the birds need it. But when the do quack, it sounds like a real duck

STUMP

Exactly. And before it gets mentioned, most contest callers are VERY proficient at working ducks. Most people think they are only good on stage...wrong. That is the thing about Mainstreet calling...it teaches you to get the most range out of a call.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Stumpjumper, I have to trust you on their hunting ability, and their ability to work ducks. My comment was simply that the type of calling I heard in the contest did not seem to have much relevance to real duck hunting. In my humble opinion it would scare ducks away. I now understand that it is not intended for the purpose of real world hunting. thanks for the clarification.
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:23 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:Stumpjumper, I have to trust you on their hunting ability, and their ability to work ducks. My comment was simply that the type of calling I heard in the contest did not seem to have much relevance to real duck hunting. In my humble opinion it would scare ducks away. I now understand that it is not intended for the purpose of real world hunting. thanks for the clarification.

No contest caller blows hails out in the field. It is about controlling a call and makes them a lot better in the field than most.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:43 pm

HydeMarsh wrote:Stumpjumper, I have to trust you on their hunting ability, and their ability to work ducks. My comment was simply that the type of calling I heard in the contest did not seem to have much relevance to real duck hunting. In my humble opinion it would scare ducks away. I now understand that it is not intended for the purpose of real world hunting. thanks for the clarification.

Are we talking the mainstreet contest or the meat?

There are three different types of duck calling contest:
1. Mainstreet-Very loud ringing hails, power and control. This contest uses a routine that all callers must blow. The contest is to showcase the calls ability, callers ability to control the call and the precision of the two together
2. Meat-Loud hunting hails and lots of duck from top to bottom. This contest also uses the same routine as the mainstreet layout however, one can not ring the call. The contest showcases the call and the callers abilities in a more realistic sounding nature. It is more powerful than one would use in a blind however, what you hear the caller doing is normally what guys at home practice on and blow in a blind but with less volume.
3. Live-Nothing but duck. This contest has no routine and is left to the caller to determine. In the end this contest is about sounding like multiple ducks in a real word situation....your the duck not the hunter calling ducks.

If one takes the time to understand what is going on and then appreciate it for that, one will normally find that it is an enjoyable sport. Contest calling can make you a better call operator plain and simple. Couple that with blind experience and you have a perfect recipe for killing alot of ducks.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting