Duck Hunting Forum banner

NC PERMIT PROCESS

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Giant Killer 
#1 ·
Today I applied for a permit to a local impoundment. I selected dates, etc, and was assigned a Party #.

Tomorrow I will do the same for my son. Can someone explain why I want to enter my party number with his application, which I assume than slots him on the same dates as me, rather than have him pick 5 different sets of dates to increase our chances?

I know this is explained each year here......I normally don't pay attention as I don't normally hunt permit hunts.

Thanks
P26

#2 ·
EVERY person hunting needs a permit for the given date. Its not a " get a draw and pick buddys" ... when you enter your party number you ensure that if one person in that party gets drawn ... Everyone on that party will get a permit.

#4 ·
I think lake mattamuskeet is the only one where you can sign up and then bring two people with you if you are drawn. Everything else must be a party. So if you son is drawn on a different party you cant go with him and vice versa.

#5 ·
Thanks. Makes sense now.

OBTW: if I get the White Oak Impoundment lunch is on me in cape Carteret for anyone who will meet me at the Stella ramp and run over there for a recon. I have boated past it a million times and have walked the berm several times. But I have never crossed those foot bridges and walked the interior. Probably a Saturday morning in Oct when there is only a 50-50 chance we will be killed by a 12 foot gator (which, by the way, is EXACTLY why I have never gone into the middle during warm weather).

#6 ·
Paul26 said:
Thanks. Makes sense now.

OBTW: if I get the White Oak Impoundment lunch is on me in cape Carteret for anyone who will meet me at the Stella ramp and run over there for a recon. I have boated past it a million times and have walked the berm several times. But I have never crossed those foot bridges and walked the interior. Probably a Saturday morning in Oct when there is only a 50-50 chance we will be killed by a 12 foot gator (which, by the way, is EXACTLY why I have never gone into the middle during warm weather).
Just be sure your life insurance is paid before the expedition in there.

#7 ·
Struck out october season. Getting to be the good permit hunts are too hard to draw and the ones you can get just arent worth it. Starting to think we should go to point system on some of the popular permit hunts so you have a chance to get drawn. Sucks to get drawn every time first 4 or 5 years since it opened, to once evry 2 or 3 years if you are lucky.

#8 ·
KAhunter said:
Struck out october season. Getting to be the good permit hunts are too hard to draw and the ones you can get just arent worth it. Starting to think we should go to point system on some of the popular permit hunts so you have a chance to get drawn. Sucks to get drawn every time first 4 or 5 years since it opened, to once evry 2 or 3 years if you are lucky.
All permits should be point system, IMHO. Maybe someone can open my eyes to a negative??

I didnt get drawn for a swan last yr...but no harm as I feel like I'm pretty much gaurenteed a permit this yr if I choose. Should be the same for all the draws. I shouldnt have to apply to 'Skeet for 20 yrs...never to be drawn. I was hoping that "swan" was going to be the pilot...maybe so.

#9 ·
The permit process is the third tax on people that have already purchased game land priviledges. Double taxation is illegal. Maybe the new rules will deter the jr duck commander jrs population of the future. Public days back in the day were days that dad's brought kids in to the impoundments with them. That's how you have respectfull hunters. Yupps don't understand this concept and have turnt this process into a bank roll. Glad someone's bringing there kids and not a si fan.

#10 ·
ncredbeard said:
The permit process is the third tax on people that have already purchased game land priviledges. Double taxation is illegal. Maybe the new rules will deter the jr duck commander jrs population of the future. Public days back in the day were days that dad's brought kids in to the impoundments with them. That's how you have respectfull hunters. Yupps don't understand this concept and have turnt this process into a bank roll. Glad someone's bringing there kids and not a si fan.
I dont see it as a tax i see it as a fee. I dont have a problem with paying 5 bucks for a chance to hunt a spot like futch which is a 600 acre impoundment. Thats pretty cheap if you ask me. I just wish they would go to points system.

#11 ·
Obama care ain't a tax either. Game lands:$10,apllication$5, state income tax per year:?
If u don't get drawn, you don't have to buy game land privilege. If you bought a lifetime, like me when I was allowed to use the land my taxes paid for and now don't get drawn, well I'm screwed outta my money. Don't like giving my money away

#12 ·
After 16 years I've decided to apply for permits. Here is my question my buddy son is 12 and hunts with us a lot. He hunts under his fathers license. How could we include him in the party? Does he have to have his own license. If we get lucky and get the skeet permit can he go as a guest.

#14 ·
ncredbeard said:
Obama care ain't a tax either. Game lands:$10,apllication$5, state income tax per year:?
If u don't get drawn, you don't have to buy game land privilege. If you bought a lifetime, like me when I was allowed to use the land my taxes paid for and now don't get drawn, well I'm screwed outta my money. Don't like giving my money away
Obama care vs permit hunt fee. apples and oranges bud.

#15 ·
A point system would be great, but will never happen. It will be a nightmare to mitigate and cause a loss of revenue to the state. AS long as everyone is paying $5 per application there is no reason for them to change it. IT'S NOT ABOUT ACCESS TO THE CITIZENS, AS IT WAS INTENDED! $$$$ Hasn't that 600 acres been reduced to shotgun range as they've done over in spring (Huntin for dummies) creek with the prescribed blinds. Spoke with game land manager last year and he stated these were basically trial run for the rest of the impoundments.

#16 ·
ncredbeard said:
A point system would be great, but will never happen. It will be a nightmare to mitigate and cause a loss of revenue to the state. AS long as everyone is paying $5 per application there is no reason for them to change it. IT'S NOT ABOUT ACCESS TO THE CITIZENS, AS IT WAS INTENDED! $$$$ Hasn't that 600 acres been reduced to shotgun range as they've done over in spring (Huntin for dummies) creek with the prescribed blinds. Spoke with game land manager last year and he stated these were basically trial run for the rest of the impoundments.
They already have one in place for swan and everyone seems happy. I would think they could give it a go with the permits no problem. Seems like it would make sense to me. Dont see how it would cost alot more money.

#18 ·
My assumption is that you would go into the online permit application and instead of entering existing customer you would create new. Enter is DOB and other information and you'll be given a WRC number for him. At that point you will be able to add him to your created party.

#19 ·
Here's your answer.

The kid can be there with your party on the state permit hunts but he can in no way participate in the hunt, which would include putting out decoys, help make or brush a blind, call to birds, etc. In simple terms, he can only observe.

If you want him to actually hunt with you, he will have to have a permit so you all would have to apply for a party hunt. You'll need to contact WRC and see what it takes to obtain a WRC customer ID # for him, which will allow him to apply for most permit hunts. He won't need a state hunting license so long as he hunts with a properly licensed adult. As for having to have a Federal duck stamp, you'll need to ask the customer service agent you speak with. I'm guessing he has to have one since it's a Fed reg.

Opps, I see where Trigger has already given you some good info. I got side tracked listening to what our Pres was spewing and didn't check back to see if anyone had replied before I hit the submit button.

#23 ·
ncredbeard said:
I'm curious why you feel a point system would equal a loss of revenue? I dont feel it would discourage anyone from applying...with points you actually have better odds, over time, of obtaining a draw. Granted there may be some initial setup costs...but the points system is already in place with swan so they should be able to piggy back off that "code". I can't help but think this is coming...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.