Duck Hunting Forum banner

Rusty Opening morning

975 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  fowlsensations 
#1 ·
Went to a new swamp I have access to this year, walked in and scouted for a good while Friday evening and saw quite a few woodies coming in pretty early to the hole as well as a couple mallards. Was looking forward to a good hunt the next day so on the way out I cut a few branches on the path in so I could mark the trail. Well low and behold it was so foggy I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. So we stumbled on in and got to the water but nothing looked familiar, apparently I veered off left somewhere and ended up 150 yards from the hole I wanted to be in. It was getting close to shooting light so we just said screw it, we were hearing plenty of woodies around us so we just threw out the decoys and hunted a tiny hole thinking we might can get em in with the mojo stiring up the fog. About 5 minutes after LST is when it started. For 10 minutes straight over 100 woodies proceeded to get up off the roost 70 yards in front of and take off. Didn't spook them but it was just time for them to wake up I reckon. None of them gave us half a chance so we just sat and watched til about 7:45 and packed up and rolled out. Didn't pull the trigger but man was it nice to be back in the swamp and see that many ducks in the early season!!! Its gonna be a sweet hole once the grass and vegetation dies out and the migration starts. Gonna go back in Saturday and get to the hole I originally wanted to be in, which all the ducks just so happened to fly right over!

Did I say it was good to be back in the swamp?!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.