Duck Hunting Forum banner

ANY BIRDS IN YOUR FREEZER?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  snc1100 
#1 ·
If anyone has any frozen birds in your freezer you don't want pls PM. Dog training.

I am in cape carteret and will drive approx 1 hour.

Thanks

#6 ·
I've never seen or heard of anyone gettin grief from the law for legally taken birds. Admittedly, the law has never asked me what I'm gonna do with my birds.

I can see a PETA neighbor griping about it but having raised mallards-how's the law gonna tell raised apart from wild? I've heard boys gettin caught throwin birds in a ditch (snows) gettin wanton waste tickets but not much else.

#7 ·
When conducting field trials with raised birds nc law requires the birds to be banded or marked by the farm that raises them so they are differentiated from wild birds. I've never heard of anyone catching heat for saving a bird or two for training but I don't think I would want to be walked up on by the law with birds in possession out of season. I could see that going south if someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed and really wanted to push it.

#8 ·
If you're concerned, one thing i've done is clipped wings and zip tied them to a dummy. It gives the dog the scent and the feel with feathers, and you don't have to worry about wasting an otherwise perfectly good bird. Also, the scent will stay on the dummy and you toss the wings out after a use.

#10 ·
Qaxnrax said:
I think that saving a couple ducks would actually prevent wasted game by recovering more birds in the future.
Totally. I shouldn't have said "wasted." But when my dog was first learning to retrieve birds I used some dead birds I had just shot that morning and she sometimes got a little "mouthy" with them. Didn't chew them to bits (I stopped her before that happened) but the meat might have ended up up getting a bit bruised. Of course, if you use a merganser it couldn't possibly lower the meat's quality.

#11 ·
Merganser - the carp of the sky

On the other hand, looking for recipes for "How to cook a Merganser" was a difficult challenge at best. There weren't any videos on YouTube for cooking Merganser, just Department of Wildlife videos on their diet - a diet filled with pond sludge, river bottom silt, and sucking the slime off of weeds. And trying to find a "serious recipe" about cooking Merganser was like trying to talk with a friend who is a constant joker and couldn't have a "serious" conversation to save their life. Every search on Mergansers brought me to joke recipes like - "Nail the Merganser to a board, cook it, take the Merganser off the board and throw it away, then eat the board." There were about 50 variations of this story, here was my favorite, it was written by herblorentz78 and it came from "DuckHuntingChat.com"

The ONLY way to cook coots and mergansers

First you start by wrapping the breasts with premium bacon. I use the bacon I get from our annual pig butchering party, double smoked delicious. Then you put them in a glass dish with a lid to keep them moist. Bake at 400 degrees approximately 12 minutes or so. It is hard to tell rarity because of the red color of the meat. Then remove from oven, unwrap bacon, throw away breasts and eat bacon. Those breasts still won't taste worth a damn no matter how you cook them. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.