Duck Hunting Forum banner

Retriever injury

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fowlsensations 
#1 ·
Well my huntin partner went down today with a pretty bad cut on the pad of her paw. Apparently while she was swimming after a bumper she kicked a stick or something. Got her to the house and gave her bath washed the cut out put neosporin on it and wrapped it up. Gave her a 25mg Benadryl and she has been out cold since. Couple hours later unwrapped it put more ointment on it and put some liquid bandage on it but that didnt do too much so I just left it uncovered to get some air. Still knocked out 5 hours later, until I started grabbing my things to go hunting in the morning... She jumps up full pressure and everything on her paw and trots to the door ready to go...smh she's a tough girl but I hate to break her heart and tell Her she isn't going tomorrow haha. Her paw is still bleeding a little,not nearly as bad as earlier. Any recommendations on how to treat this injury, I don't want to keep giving her Benadryl to knock her out so she will stay off of it but if that's the best answer then I will do it.

#2 ·
Had the same with a an oyster shell injury last summer.

You're doing exactly what we did: use antibiotic ointment and wrap. Then she'll chew it off, then wrap again. Repeat this 4,0000 times.

If you don't wrap the dog will lick it. The tongue if full of bacteria.

Go onto amazon and order COBAN. It's a wrap they use in the ER. Very easy, and it sticks on itself.

#3 ·
Dogs actually have good bacteria in their saliva that helps wounds heal. Them licking it isnt bad depending on the wound.

#4 ·
Dogs are fairly resilient. Keep the cut clean and dry and it should heal up on its own in short order. I've seen some nasty pads cuts before that in a weeks time you could hardly even tell there was a injury.
However if it does not seem to be improving or looks to become infected take to a vet immediately.

#7 ·
She wouldn't let me leave the house this morning as soon as she saw me grab my gun. She was at the door hobbling on that foot and wouldn't go lay back down to save her life, bound and determined to go huntin. So I put the gun back in the closet she went and layed back down, couldn't stand to break Ol girls heart and go without her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.