This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Postby Wilsona018 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:08 am

Last edited by Wilsona018 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:13 am

Find a cheap canoe. One you can launch yourself, and put in at some briges that get you close to the back water.
Either that or find a hunting buddy w/ a boat. Sometimes I have trouble finding someone to hunt with, and I have a duck boat. I live in Raleigh, but don't hunt locally too often. Mostly at the coast or drive up to Maryland to a friends farm on the Chesapeake.
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby staightShooter » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:10 pm

I was in your same shoes a couple years ago and a canoe was the answer. Although I now have a blind/boat, my canoe is still one of the most valuable pieces of my equipment. The triangle lakes are large and have a lot of backwaters only accessible by canoe. A canoe allows you to sneak in across beaver dams, dried up areas, etc.. In fact, this week I canoed nearly 11 miles scouting water levels and spots. I was able to access some tucked away areas and found what I was looking for.

I have set up and have taken geese, divers, and puddlers with my little 11' canoe. Just be careful and know your limits. Further, some of the coastal impoundments like Spring Creek are nice if you have a canoe.
staightShooter
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:02 am

Did you shoot from your canoe, or use it mainly to get to where you were going and hunt fom the bank or shallows? I have a blind boat myself, but thought of buying a canoe to hunt the back water/impoundments too.
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby staightShooter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:22 am

I mainly use it to transport myself/gear. I hunted out of it a couple times, but prefer more stable ground. Its a small one, about 10', I use solid bodied decoys, so when I pack up its like packing a moose.

I sure love my boat blind, but something is nice about sneaking in silently. Like I said earlier, just have to be careful. Once while hunting Falls, the wind picked up very strong before I had a chance to tear down, so thank goodness some neighboring hunters gave me a lift back to the landing - actually placed my canoe in their boat.

Let me know if you find out anymore about Currituck. Spot seems like a safe choice for the newcomer - perhaps a good spot for divers in Jan. However, some of the northern blinds look do-able as well.
staightShooter
hunter

Falls Lake Hunting

Postby Mr. Taxidermist » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:51 am

There are lots of swamps on the Falls Lake Game Land. You can wade them with relative ease. The only problem is that everyone else wants to hunt the same areas.
Mr. Taxidermist
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting