New Boat

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, NCSUDucker

New Boat

Postby Drew4711 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:16 pm

If you had between 10-15 grand to spend on a duck boat for diver hunting, what would you buy? I'm thinking a 16ft alweld center console with a 40hp Yamaha http://akmccallumco.com/boat-alweld-packages.htm?
Drew4711
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: New Boat

Postby Dingbatter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:51 pm

If you plan on hunting divers on big open water a 16ft boat will never be enough boat. To small to carry all your gear or handle the rough conditions open water will present. I was lucky enough to know a guy with a 2011 1965 DLX Carolina Skiff he wanted to sell. It had a nice Road King trailer but an older Evinrude outboard motor. I bought it lightly sanded the hull and painted it OD green with Parkers Duck Boat paint. Last year I replaced the old outboard with a new Yamaha 70 4 stroke. It was a lot of work but its a pretty good boat for no more than what you want to spend for a 16ft jon boat.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Drew4711 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:53 pm

I only want to hunt open water a few times a year, mostly hunting smaller rivers and creeks. It also bothers me to see such a nice fiberglass boat painted with a flat green and it would bother me to drive/ own it. I need a boat like this 80% smaller river 20% open water, so I need a boat focusing on smaller rivers but can venture out onto bigger water on calmer days. I was thinking 16ft would be easy to hide also. But I want to try to stay new also because used boats are usually people's problems they are getting rid of. But please let me know what you think and use.
Drew4711
hunter

Postby Drew4711 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Has anybody used a pontoon boat before? I know it might seem weird but it would have plenty of space and I could have it pretty confrontable.
Drew4711
hunter

Postby DuckSlayer5200 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:46 pm

I've hunted from pontoon boat blinds on Saginaw Bay in MI. They work awesome, there is all the room you want and are easy to build a permanent blind on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sea Ark 1652, Gator Trax 35 Surface Drive, Rem 11-87 SP
DuckSlayer5200
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:22 pm

I bought a white skiff and turned it into a really good diver boat, that I use for layout hunting. That doesn't bother me one bit and I get a lot of compliments on how it looks. Don't know why it would bother anyone, that is what I bought the boat for. I knew the owner so I didn't have any issues with buying it secondhand. I have owned a 16 ft jon boat, it is to small for big water and to big for small. There are no perfect size boats, but' I would go bigger than smaller. A 16ft boat with a console just doesn't have enough room. I see to many folks with boats overloaded all the time, it only takes one time to get into trouble with a small boat in rough conditions and conditions can change fast. If I wanted a do all jon boat I would have a 17 ft with a tiller, the tiller gives you lots of room and 17ft is a good all round size boat.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby Darryle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:28 pm

I haven't really researched the Weldbilt series, but I have ran across a couple of these types post

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=39292

I would research a little deeper to see if this is an anomaly or common.

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA Life Member 646442
Darryle
Orphanedcowboy

Postby echoduck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:52 am

There is no such thing as a "do all" boat. You will never find one. What is your definition of " big water", if you are referring to inland rivers/small lakes then you are ok with the 16. I would not advise such a boat for coastal rivers or the sound. I say 20 is the minimum and you would need to pick your days. If you only plan to diver hunt a few times per year in the sound, best to just book a few days with Adam Jones each year. In the long run this would be your cheapest option.
echoduck
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting