Duck Hunting Forum banner

Navigating Currituck

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  staightShooter 
#1 ·
I put in for a couple Currituck hunts. I have been told that there is a shoal to look out for. Does anyone have any info on navigating to the state blind, that is what routes are safest.

#4 ·
i've grown up hunting currituck i am just tryin g to figure out wehre oyster cove is, i have never heard of it before but i have travelled by boat through most of the waters around currituck and may be able to help.. where abouts is oyster cove?

#5 ·
Thanks for offering to help. I don't know if I got picked yet or not, but the location of the Oyster Cove blind is located on the state game lands maps: Below is a link the the map I am referring to.

Blind #3 on the Game Refuge, not the Currituck Banks
http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg04_HuntingT ... rituck.pdf

I would be putting in at the Brumley road ramp.

I hope I get drawn, I have always wanted to hunt the famed Currituck.

#6 ·
Straightshooter:
You probably don't want to spend a bunch of money. But let me tell you, a couple bucks spent now will save you alot of money and maybe even your life in the long run. There are any number of dash mounted, portable, GPS depth finders on the market now. The very nice ones have the nav aids and depth charts included. If you can do it I would invest in one of those. I have one in my 26' that is transportable to my duckboat and even my car.
OR the economy route is a portable battery powered depth /fish finder and a handheld GPS. Use your GPS to tell you where you are and the depth finder to stay off the sand bars. With the many storms we have had shoals, sand bars, trees and crabpot tangles shifted about and you don't want to become fouled. Let a fog set in and you will waste your draw on finding the blind or getting rescued.
Good luck!

#7 ·
Points well taken. My duckboat does have a depthfinder and I will be using my GPS. Perhaps someone has GPS waypoints of a safe route to the state Currituck blinds -that would be best.

My main concern not getting stuck on a shoal during a bad blow, thus getting swamped. That's why I am looking for the safest route, free of nav hazards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.