Minot area

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Minot area

Postby spoonie-1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Will have 2 days to hunt with my son who is stationed at the Minot AFB.With such short time I'm leaning on getting a guide .How is the area for ducks and geese? any respectable guides in the area? should I be looking for another area?also I'm looking to go the 1st or 2nd week of nov. is that a prime time?anyhelp will be great
Thanks
spoonie-1
hunter

Re: Minot area

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:21 pm

spoonie-1 wrote:Will have 2 days to hunt with my son who is stationed at the Minot AFB.With such short time I'm leaning on getting a guide .How is the area for ducks and geese? any respectable guides in the area? should I be looking for another area?also I'm looking to go the 1st or 2nd week of nov. is that a prime time?anyhelp will be great
Thanks

Have your son ask around, I'm sure there's plenty of guys at the base that would take you out without a guide. That should be a good time to go.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby spoonie-1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks for the reply.My son has found a few people that will talk but being at the bottom of the food chain there is no fraternization with high ranks (ie people that could help).Will be getting some maps very soon and feeling better about loading the truck up with some decoys and scouting a couple of days from what other post are saying and being ready for when he gets off.He has a vehicle so will try to do some scouting himself on his off time.
That late in the season I'm I looking at water or field hunting ? Would rather do water hunting but field hunting doesn't look to bad will just need alittle additional equipment.
Thanks
Stephen
spoonie-1
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:17 pm

spoonie-1 wrote:Thanks for the reply.My son has found a few people that will talk but being at the bottom of the food chain there is no fraternization with high ranks (ie people that could help).Will be getting some maps very soon and feeling better about loading the truck up with some decoys and scouting a couple of days from what other post are saying and being ready for when he gets off.He has a vehicle so will try to do some scouting himself on his off time.
That late in the season I'm I looking at water or field hunting ? Would rather do water hunting but field hunting doesn't look to bad will just need alittle additional equipment.
Thanks
Stephen

I doubt there will be much water open in late November. You may end up all field hunting towards Sakakawea.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby spoonie-1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Sorry ,will be going no later than 1st or 2nd week in Nov. our season down here opens Nov. 20th.Would the first week or second effect freeze up in a regular year?Also if field hunting I will be making a bunch of silo's.Should I make mallards and Canada geese ? How many are enough ?Should I pick up 2 layout blinds for field hunting?
Thanks for the help will do rest of leg work myself.
Stephen
spoonie-1
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:29 pm

1st week SHOULD be okay, it's been a cold year all around though so who knows.

No need for a field sled, you can drive in.

If the ground is froze, you'll need to drill or punch holes for sillo's.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting