Vehicles: 4 Wheeler? Small Boat?

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Vehicles: 4 Wheeler? Small Boat?

Postby Yoda » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Guys,
I am finally planning to make the trip next year. Been thinking about it for a long time. Looks like it will be myself and one of my buddies, so, we will only be taking one truck.
I've got an idea on locations, and we plan on scouting as much as necessary and then hunting fields or transition potholes.
I'm wondering about vehicles that get us to and from the hunt and can be a real help. I have an otter 1200 stealth boat and a 400cc 4wd 4 wheeler. i'm wondering how much i would use of either of thsoe two things. I have a small trailer that transports the 4 wheeler, but can't fit much more than that. So, with the dog in the back of the truck, it would be tough to bring the small boat and 4 wheeler. If i leave the 4 wheeler at home, i could bring the small boat.
So, which of thsoe two things would be most helpful, the boat or 4 wheeler, or since i have both of those toys, should i do whatever it takes to be able to bring both?

thanks in advance
Yoda
hunter

Re: Vehicles: 4 Wheeler? Small Boat?

Postby nek9handler » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:25 pm

This year both would of worked great.....The fields were real wet and water everywhere.

Next year we are bringing both layout boats and 4 wheeler......

But if I was u and your going to be hunting with a dog stick to the fields and transiton potholes and just bring the 4 wheeler for running blinds and gear out to the fields
That way you dont tear anyones stuff up

As wet as it was we did pretty well still with most of the mallards pushing down the last day we hunted along with geese I so wanted to stay for another day and hunt more

See u up their next year maybe
BILL HAMILL
nek9handler
hunter

Postby Yoda » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:12 pm

thanks, i'm also kind of throwing this question out there to see if 4 wheelers are possibly frowned upon.
also, i kind of figure we should be able to get by without the small boat, but if we find a transition hole deeper than 4 foot or so, that small boat sure can come in handy. then if i have the 4 wheeler with, that makes taking it to the hole a breeze, as opposed to carrying it behind me like i usually do.
guys, don't misinterpret this as tryign to get out of hard work. i've worked my bowels off to get to ducks, but when you can make it easier, i figure you might as well.
Yoda
hunter

Postby nek9handler » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Guys were riding UTV's and ATV's all over when I was up their even down the highway to the bar...LOL

Next year we are sporting both boats and 4 wheelers

The farmers are really nice and rather take the 4 wheeler out in their field then rut it up with my truck plus I pull a trailer and next year it will be a 16footer

Should be able to get everything in their we packed my 10footer and the back of my truck and the backseat of my truck
We had enough to move in
Wish I could
LOL
BILL HAMILL
nek9handler
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Depends on the area. We hunt in the W. half of the state and never needed an ATV to get into the fields.

Waders/decoys still is the best way to hunt ND ducks IMO.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/ducktips.php

I just got a chuckle. I just noticed that we had Ed Schultz hunting with us on the bottom pic of that article. That's been awhile...
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting