True or Not?

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

True or Not?

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:45 pm

A few years ago I was out in North Dakota goose and duck hunting with a guide and he told us that if the land is not posted that you can hunt it. Is this true? If it is are there any other states that are like this?
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:55 pm

Yes it's true, but as far as I know it's the only state in the US.

The tresspassing law does come up every legislative session as far as I can remember, maybe one of these years......
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Deadeye_youth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:14 pm

Alright, yeah i wasnt to sure of this but thanks for answering.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

watch your self

Postby jeeprunner81 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:17 am

check you regulations there are rules to going on to posted land there are certain things you can and can't do and even if it is not posted there are certain types of land you can go on. make sure you do you research or you could get into trouble and get the land posted
jeeprunner81
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:16 pm

It's ture.
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby roth2000 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:11 pm

I have family there and from my understanding you can hunt on any unposted land as long as the crops have been harvesterd. You cannot hunt on uncut crops whether or not it is posted. Also I believe that landowners are required to post every 1/2 mile. My family lives in the southeast part of the state and people are willing to let you hunt if you are respectful.
roth2000
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:04 am

Vermont allows people to hunt on all unposted property without restriction. Of course land owner respect followed by appreciation is always good.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby Frank Daruke » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:15 am

You can hunt on un-posted land but I would strongly encourage you to locate and talk to the land owner. Taking the time to get permission even on un-posted land makes the land owners happy and increases the reputation and accessibility for all hunters. Just my 2 cents on this!
Frank Daruke
Newb

Postby rmb79 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:08 pm

I agree about contacting the land owners. Our group has been hunting ND for the past 5 years. We come from Wisconsin. I recently moved to Kansas for Work, so I won't make the trip this year.

It has been our experience that if you contact the land owner about duck/goose hunting they are very appreciative and will even put you in contact with other places to hunt that might be posted or where they have located birds. We have stayed in the Langdon and Starkweather area and really like it.

I also recommend to bring some goodies for the landowners. We always have a cooler full of Cheese and Leinenkugels Beer for anyone that lets us on their land.

I would also like to add that every North Dakotan that we have met has been very nice and helpful. That really adds to the quality hunting experience.

Ross
rmb79
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting