Planning Trip

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Planning Trip

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:42 pm

My dad and I are planning a trip with some friends to come do some duck and pheasant hunting. We are thinking about coming the week of Columbus Day holiday because of me and a buddys school schedule. I know hunting is hunting and it is far from predictable, but is that too early to have good numbers of ducks? Thanks for any info.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Re: Planning Trip

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:11 am

You'll be fine in mid-October.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Okay great. Another question I had was how may decoys should I bring? Sounds to me like the land we are hunting on has potholes and thats what we will be hunting. So how many would I need for that? And I have never field hunted ducks before so I dont know if I have the goods to get that done haha but if thats where the ducks are what kind of suggestions would ya'll have for gear in the situation? Thanks
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby AlphaDuck » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Have enough flexibility to field hunt or hunt the potholes. And please don't hunt the roost. You can but it will wear out your welcome quick.
AlphaDuck
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:15 pm

reelsouthern1220 wrote:Okay great. Another question I had was how may decoys should I bring? Sounds to me like the land we are hunting on has potholes and thats what we will be hunting. So how many would I need for that? And I have never field hunted ducks before so I dont know if I have the goods to get that done haha but if thats where the ducks are what kind of suggestions would ya'll have for gear in the situation? Thanks

We don't use many in the potholes, no realy need to. In the fields you can use canada goose decoys, they'll go to them...spinners can help too.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:27 pm

Okay well that sounds manageable. Is there a chance of geese being there the same time or are the Canada deeks just good for confidence. I would set up for ducks and geese if that'd be possible.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting