devils lake

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

devils lake

Postby goosebelly » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:32 am

I will be in the devils lake area the week of the 18th - 23rd is this a good time to be there for the divers? And if anyone can point me to any good spots to start at.This is my first trip to the area,I normaly hunt around lamore and oaks.Thanx for any info, :thumbsup: shoot straight and killem all,good hunting.
goosebelly
hunter

movement this year

Postby parr0098 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:29 pm

I was up around that area last weekend and I would go there earlier or go farther south cause from what i saw and heard the movement is really early this year. Whistler swans which usaully dont come for about a month give or take a week are already moving through.
parr0098
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:11 pm

i was about 30 miles north the 4-9th. we killed 62 in 4 and a half days and had a blast. Most of what we killed were gadwalls like 45 of them. Killed 1 ringneck and only 2 mallards. filled the rest with teal...
It looked like when we left that EVERYONE knew about the hunting around devils lake....we saw a TON of camo. boats headed that way friday night..
But we had a blast and will proally be back...
Good hunting,Mike
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:59 am

The hunting around Devils Lake is intense. I grew up hunting there when it was rare to hear another gun shot (boy has that changed in the last 10 years).

The good news is for you, is the diver hunting is still good. Very few big water hunters, but it's rewarding if you're willing to take on the lake.

There has been duck hunter fatalities every year lately on Devils Lake and most of them could be avoided. Be smart when hitting the water and expect 30+ mph winds because ND can dish it out at any time with no warning. Lifevest are a must.

Good luck and hunt safe.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby goosebelly » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:55 pm

ADMIN THANX FOR THE HEADS UP :getdown: I am glad you let me know I was gonna bring my smaller boat, is the lake pretty shallow in spots? I have an 18ft ducker with a 60hp on it,will I be able to get by shore? If not can a guy hunt in the middle with no natural cover? In mn you have to have natural cover around you,hunting in open water is ilegal. hope with this cold front the bills start piling up.THANX AGAIN :thumbsup: SHOOT STRAIGHT AND KILLEM ALL
goosebelly
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:25 pm

WELL!!??!?! How was it?? :getdown:
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby hoosier dhr » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:10 pm

Why the h#ll would u want to hunt that big *** lake when u can hunt feilds and get a limit of good ducks and geese without risking ur life? :umm:
I just dont understand!!! :withstupid:
leave it better than you found it!!!
Go Canes
hoosier dhr
hunter

Postby goosebelly » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:16 pm

:getdown: the hunting was great!! I decided to start in canada for a few days and then hunted the rest in nodak.LOTS OF DIVERS.Even shot a banded red head drake.I am really sick of eating ducks :eek: I shoot the ducks and then eat them that same day.Any new ways to make them,I think I tried most :laughing: Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys but I just got back from deer hunting wisconsin.HOW come they have so many deer :yes: talk to you guys later.
goosebelly
hunter

Postby DUCKSLAYER4LIFE » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:48 pm

i want info about where you hunted goosebelly if you could help me out. i'm looking into a trip to devils lake but want to know where to go. Thanks congrats o nthe band.
DUCKSLAYER4LIFE
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:55 pm

Getting on land around Devils Lake is probably the toughest in the state. I rarely bother going up there anymore, all the landowner connections I once had leased up their land.

Devils Lake, the actual lake itself is full of flooded timber and what not. So much to explore, just have to get out there and do it.

But again, BE SAFE as that lake will chew up and spit out a small duck boat most days of the week.
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting