moving

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

moving

Postby Champney » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:49 pm

hopefully moving over here the next few months. just wondering if jobs are hard to find? and also where the best hunting is located.
Champney
hunter

Re: moving

Postby jcnelsn1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 am

Unemployment is low. Best bet for employment is out in the Western part of the state in the oil fields. Check out http://www.jobsnd.com/. As far as best hunting, depends on what you are after. Basically everywhere is close to good hunting for something. I will say the oil field areas are not the greatest for waterfowl.
jcnelsn1
hunter

Postby Champney » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:50 pm

thanks for the site its very usefull. around here we hunt mallards,blacks, teal, wodies anyduck which they will only be in water. then canadas are my favorite to hunt. mostly what gets me interested in nd is the population of mallards and snows that move threw there. im thinking northern nd maybe williston?
Champney
hunter

Postby jcnelsn1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Williston would be a great area for employment if you want to work in the oil fields. That is probably the capital of the oil industry in North Dakota. Oil fields jobs can pay really well, especcially for North Dakota. Not uncommon for guys with experience to make 6 figures. Kind of tough to find housing there now.

As far as hunting around Williston, never done it and I have only been to Williston a couple of time. From what I understand, the waterfowl hunting is not going to be the greatest. You will have to drive to get into them. You really need to get further east for the waterfowl hunting, although you may be able to get into them in Canada within a few hours from Williston.

If you are looking for oilfield work you probably will be stuck in the Williston, Watford City, Dickinson corridor, which is not a real waterfowl mecca. Of course a lot of the jobs are work 4 days on, 4 days off or 1 week on, 1 week off, so you could probably live in a better waterfowling area and then work in those areas.

Shoot me a pm if you want more info. People get antsy discussing town names on here. I moved to Bismarck about 1.5 years ago from Indianapolis. Very happy with the decision. Bismarck could also be a possibility for you.
jcnelsn1
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting