What did the front due for birds

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

What did the front due for birds

Postby lostpup » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:47 pm

I left your wonderfull state the 24th and seen that there was a big front comming thru on tues or wed of this week. When we were there the birds had'nt made it in full swing yet. High 60's and clear skies. We left Sat morn 30 deg and cloudy. Looked to be getting birdy weather. Talked to a friend today and they said that South Dakota was loaded with birds. Is it possible that they all moved thru in 2 day's and missed North Dakota this year or do you think that the birds are still north??????
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Re: What did the front due for birds

Postby jgoetz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:00 pm

I am in the same boat as you lostpup. Now I don't know this for sure but I am guessing all the resident birds haven't left SD yet. Usually we smoke the teal the second weekend of the season. I hunted everyday from the 15 to the 23. Saw a ton of teal early in the week. That was about it though. Seeing as teal usually migrate first my guess would be that the birds were still up in Canada.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:31 am

I left on monday and there were snows(lots of snows) and ducks in places there wasn't any the previous 3 days. I'd say they were moving in front of the storm. We had good shoots every day but sunday and it was so foggy you couldn't see 50 yrds almost all day.
labman63
hunter

Postby myoung » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:24 pm

still lots of snows and mallards in nodak!!! was there for three days solo. just as many snows as i've seen in sask
in the area i was in, in nodak!! local ducks moved out, but now bigger flocks can be found. plenty of canadas too.
south central nd! :smile:
myoung
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting