Free lance options for canadian geese... advise desired

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Free lance options for canadian geese... advise desired

Postby gtmgooser » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Hello fellow water fowlers.... I've been stalking this site for some time now and am trying to get information on the canadian goose hunting in ND. I'm in West Michigan and looking to make the drive out to ND for some waterfowl hunting. I started several years ago with geese and when that got to be too much work (did it alone) so I switched to ducks. Last year I had the oportunity to get back in the fields with a couple of guys that make an annual trip to ND (Rugby area) and heard all about how ND will ruin me. I'd like to know about the early canadian goose season there in ND and how the free-lance hunting is. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole or a hand out, just want guidance..... where to go or not to go, fields vs water, what to look for, etc... Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I've read on here how the locals look down upon the non-resident hunter and then I've heard just the opposite so I'm going into this with a completely open mind. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Thanks, George
gtmgooser
hunter

Re: Free lance options for canadian geese... advise desired

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:19 am

Hunts fields in the early season, can't say I've ever hunted water. Typically any animosity towards non-residents is when they use duckboats and hunt roosts.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:25 pm

I was recently in Rugby ND back in October and we had a great hunt. We Shot Canadians Swans and we woud occanaly get ducks to work the decoys. it was awesome I will definetly go back. We mostly hunted Weat fields or a pond in weat feilds. Just rember that you cant shoot geese in the afternoons (only on wednessdays and saturdays). I will post some Pics in a little while.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby gtmgooser » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm really torn on this hunt.... I want to really jump on the geese as I don't really have the access here where I live but after a 10-12 hour drive, I'm thinking I want to experience it all.... geese, ducks, swans, cranes, etc... Guess there could be worse situations to be in. Anyways, please keep the feed back coming and if anyone wants to share some experiences I am all ears. I love the thought of this hunt and we're going to make it happen, I just want to be as educated as possible when I get there.
gtmgooser
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Here are the Pictures 4 canadians 1 tundra swan and a but load of ducks.
Attachments
North Dakota 4.JPG
North Dakota 3.JPG
North Dakota 2.JPG
North Dakota 1.JPG
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:21 pm

O, and make sure you check up on posted and non posted land because posted land you have to get permission to hunt it, but most of the time they will give you permission. non posted land you can just walk in and hunt it. do a good job at scouting because it will all be worth it in the end.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby gtmgooser » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Great pics.... I just made my first purchase for the trip.... a 5x10 enclosed trailer. I can't wait to make this happen. I see all the pictures and read all the posts and can't believe I've waited this long to make the trip. Thanks for the insight and I look forward to chatting with you all over the weeks, months to come. George
gtmgooser
hunter

Postby Jellie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Goerge -

I wanted to go several years ago and was trying to do it myself. I went with an outfitter once, learned the area and how to hunt in that area then I felt confident doing it solo. I have hunted with NorthStar Outfitters for 9 years now and really like the operation and price.

Steve
Jellie
hunter

Postby gtmgooser » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Ok... things are starting to take shape for this trip. Trailer is in the garage and the decoy hunt is on. I'd really like to find a couple dozen full bodies (gooes and duck). If anone has anything for sale please drop me a line.

Thanks for the input and please keep this post going, I can't wait to get out there and meet the locals. I've heard some great stories and can't to expereience it for myself.

George
gtmgooser
hunter

Postby Silewski11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Image My buddies and I got this limit of geese in the early goose season which usually starts around August 15 or so. BTW the dog in the picture came running from a farmhouse two miles away, we grabbed it and shoved it in our blind while the geese were coming in and still got a limit of geese. :biggrin: Don't pass shout the geese as they get off the roost either, not a good way to have relations with the locals that way.
Silewski11
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Start by picking up a DeLorme Atlas of ND. These show most of the larger potholes throughout the state. Some study of the maps should give you a starting point. Sometimes the early season birds (Canadas) can be hard to locate because often they will fly either before it is lght enough to see or shortly before or at sunset. And don't depend on birds you scouted at night to be on the same field in the morning. I've found often they use different morning and evening feeding sites.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting