Need Advice!

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Need Advice!

Postby ItFliesItDies05 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 am

Well guys, I am also one of the many people planning a trip to North Dakota in the fall. I plan to hunt ducks and geese on water/land, whatever it takes. I just had a couple questions on what to expect. I have access to alot of land between devils lake and the Lakota Area. I also plan to free lance. I am not a dumb@ss hunter that will screw with the farmers land and piss them off, and theres no way I will hunt a roosting hole. Being from missouri its hard enough to get farmers permission here and I would hate to see that spread to ND. Anyway I just had some questions on what the land will be like? is a boat needed or will chest waders do? What types of crops will the birds (ducks and honkers) hit up there besides soybeans and corn? We are planning to head up there around the 17th. Will the greenheads be down? I know it all depends on weather but on average are there greenheads down that time of year? How cold will it be? and will ice be an issue? Any other advice you have for first timer would be very much appreciated! Thank you for your time!
ItFliesItDies05
hunter

Re: Need Advice!

Postby labman63 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:23 pm

They are not "down" they are already there. They breed and raise there. Forget the boat and the waders. To me ND is all about field hunting. Prepare to scout alot(we put 800 miles on the truck in 5 days just scouting last yr)
labman63
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I would only bring a boat if you wanted to hunt Devils Lake. The 17th of October...I'm assuming? You never know what kind of weather you'll get here. Sorry...I know that doesn't help much. Bring clothes to hunt in warm conditions...bring clothes to hunt in cold temps...the humidity can make things chilly...Yes, there is humidity in North Dakota. Way more humid than Montana.
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby waterfowl1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 am

bring the waders.thats about the time we head over there. the last couple of years all the greenheads we were hunting were mostly local birds that were born there. hes right. bring warm and cold clothing. the humidity can chill you to the bone. lots of great field hunting and a whole heck of alot of scouting. put a sling on your gun. chance for alot of walking. whether it be walking from pothole to pothole or going in and out to the truck from the field. and for five extra bucks you might as well get a crane tag. there are alot of cranes there. you may get lucky. but they are pretty tuff to hunt. one thing we have been seeing alot of is the guides are leasing alot of land from the farmers which is taking up quite a bit of hunting space for us travelers. so try to set up a good friendship with the farmers and be responsible and use good ethics when hunting there land. i'm sure you will. this is the future of our beloved sport. something we want our grandkids to enjoy like we do.
waterfowl1
hunter

Postby ItFliesItDies05 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:36 am

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it and keep it coming! Would you say the local birds are harder to hunt than the migrators? I would think the birds would get pretty shy and pressured. At least in MO when we have the same birds here for more than 2 weeks they do but maybe its a whole different ball game in ND. Whats up with the Crane hunting? Do they taste good? Any more tips you guys got would be great thank you! Also what is the hunting traffic like on opening day of the non resident season?
ItFliesItDies05
hunter

Postby jcnelsn1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:55 pm

We get a migration from canada, but you have to realize that a significant portion of north america's ducks breed here. Millions of birds, so its local birds in large part. That being said those local birds will be dumber than any birds you see in mo. Hunting pressure will be very high. Cranes taste so so in my book, but are fun to hunt.
jcnelsn1
hunter

Postby ItFliesItDies05 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Would it be worth it to haul a trailer full of bigfoot goose decoys up there? Or should I just stick to hunting water? Will there be alot of geese there at that time?
ItFliesItDies05
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:34 am

ItFliesItDies05 wrote:Would it be worth it to haul a trailer full of bigfoot goose decoys up there? Or should I just stick to hunting water? Will there be alot of geese there at that time?

YES!!!!!!!!
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:57 pm

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/ducktips.php

A must read for your situation.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby waterfowl1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 am

i agree. bring the trailers with the bigfoot cans. both water and field hunting is superb. cranes taste alright. youll hear some people call them ribeye of the sky and others will cook them on a roof shingle then throw away the bird and eat the shingle. ha ha!! if you are looking to shoot a swan too i think its a 35 dollar tag. and they can be pretty easy to hunt. everyone in our party shot one last year. cost a pretty penny to mount though.
waterfowl1
hunter

Postby jcnelsn1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Bring your trailer of goose decoys and a duck spinner or two and you are set for field hunting ducks and canadas. Try to avoid hunting the roost water and help keep hunting good for everyone. Best way to avoid that is by hunting fields. That being said, I enjoy a water hunt now and then too for a little variety and you can hunt water that is not the roost. Read the article Chris linked to, lots of good info there.
jcnelsn1
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting