Planing a Trip - Help Needed!

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Planing a Trip - Help Needed!

Postby HardcoreDeeks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:15 pm

A couple of buddies and I are planning a trip for the 3rd weekend in Oct this year. It was a late decision to plan the trip, so if anyone has advice it would be greatly appreciated! We hunted in Cooperstown last year, about an hour and a half south east of Devils Lake. This was our first trip and a learning experience. We did good but not as good as we expected.
Does anyone have any suggestions of other places to hunt fields as well as pot holes? We are pretty well set up for field hunting with lay out blinds as well as full body duck and goose decoys. We also have water decoys; mallards and divers that we will be bringing for smaller bodies of water, however we will not be bringing a boat with us. Your input will be appreciated, Thanks for your help!!!
Last edited by HardcoreDeeks on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
HardcoreDeeks
Newb

Re: Planing a Trip - Help Needed!

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:14 am

3rd week is tough b/c alot of locals are gone or dead and the migrants may not be down in big numbers yet...depending on the weather.

Literally anywhere east of the Missouri River and west of I-29 can be good. It's like throwing a dart at a map.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby 4Runner243 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:04 am

at that time of year if you do feild hunting bring six goose decoys and set them up in a family group outside of your duck decoys. the guys i hunt with we have no idea how it works but it does with about 2 or 3 dozen mallard hens and drakes and six canadas.
SPR-310
4Runner243
Newb

Postby HardcoreDeeks » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, it is greatly appreciated! We are thinkin about coming the 1st weekend in October now, which i believe Saturday is the opener for non residents. Will there be fields picked to hunt out of? Or if we come that weekend should i plan on hunting mostly water? Thanks again!
HardcoreDeeks
Newb

Postby 4Runner243 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 am

field hunts are really the only way to go this year with all the water. shores are pushed up and cattails to hide in are in deep water. try looking at fields that have sloughs that arent that full you could hide in the slough and set up your spread in the field nearby. stubble works best. ducks around here are stupid and as long as the decoys dont shine and your hidden well you should be in good company. and also bringing a boat out is never a good idea, us residents laugh at the "non-resies" who do that when they could have twice the hunt in a good field, and dont be afraid to ask permission most farmers say shoot the ducks not the bucks
SPR-310
4Runner243
Newb

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Crops coming off hard this week...I wouldn't worry about that.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby HardcoreDeeks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Great stuff guys thanks for the help! Are farmers taking off corn already or just wheat and hay?
HardcoreDeeks
Newb

Postby Benjamin10 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:33 am

Wheat. Then beans will come off, and then corn. Where I hunt the corn is just coming off in middle of october and thats on a good year. I'd say you'll prolly be looking at wheat, and beans this year but might get lucky and find a corn field. Depends on where your hunting. I hunt by the finley/cooperstown area fyi
Benjamin10
Newb

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Me and my buddies are also trying to plan a trip there in late October, it will be our first time North Dakota and really dont know what to expect. Where we hunt in Wisconsin theres Mallards and Teal. I guess I'm really just looking for information on where to hunt, what to bring, any public land? Any information would be great! Thanks in advance!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 pm

backwoodsboy09 wrote:Me and my buddies are also trying to plan a trip there in late October, it will be our first time North Dakota and really dont know what to expect. Where we hunt in Wisconsin theres Mallards and Teal. I guess I'm really just looking for information on where to hunt, what to bring, any public land? Any information would be great! Thanks in advance!

Go to the NDGF website and get a copy of the PLOTS book (it's free). It shows all the public land.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:46 pm

duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:51 am

Thanks Chris! We are planning on hunting somewhere near Minot, know any good places to stay within a hour drive of there that can accomodate up to 12 people? Any additional info would be great! Thanks again.
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby chiefbadger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 pm

See my other post to you: Garrison Motel 701-463-2858 Use my name, Ron (sounds like Boyko). Cabins will be booked. Try the older hotel, where your dogs can come in the room.

The new hotel is booked for a wedding.

Ron
chiefbadger
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting