Want to book a hunting trip for ducks/geese/pheasants

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Want to book a hunting trip for ducks/geese/pheasants

Postby FOWLGAL » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:16 am

My husband, our friend, myself & our 3 dogs want to book a hunting trip to hunt ducks/geese/pheasants/grouse, any suggestions on a good guide?
FOWLGAL
hunter

Re: Want to book a hunting trip for ducks/geese/pheasants

Postby FOWLGAL » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Come on People over 300 views and no one has any advise!!
FOWLGAL
hunter

Postby cjlarose » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 pm

:hi: Seen a lot of info for Top Gun don't know if they are any good or not.
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Postby FOWLGAL » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Finally! Thank You cjlarose :biggrin:
FOWLGAL
hunter

Postby chiefbadger » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Perhaps a good starting point is to ask if your group plans on hunting ND (and SD) once? Or would this be the first time/visit with the goal of returning each year? Please understand that SD has 9-10 times as many pheasants that ND has, due to weather, etc. I hunt SD for pheasants and it is the promised land and an excellent experience. The thing you need to understand about ND is that East of the MO river is a water laden, duck rich enviroment. EXCELLENT waterfowl hunting and a great lifetime adventure. With the exception of the devils lake area and a few larger metropolitan areas (by ND standards that means Bismarck and Jamestown) when you cross the MO river (Bismarck, etc.) it is similiar to crossing into a whole new, physical enviroment. Think the first planet of the apes movie. West of the MO river, it is covered by mass grasslands, rolling foothills leading up to the Rockies over hundreds of miles. Water is not common here. This is the best part of ND to hunt upland birds, but not ducks or geese.

So the questions are: What are your goals? Would you rather hunt ducks or pheasants if you had to choose? Are you planning on hunting scratch (no guide) for each species? By boat? Field hunt? Jump shoot potholes? How many days total hunting time will your group dedicate this fall? Happy to help if I can as I hunt both ND and SD. ND no guides. SD, guides are a must east of the MO river. Pheasants are a crop to farmers in SD. You will pay if you can get on. ND, most folks will let you hunt ducks (not near devils lake as they charge for land use/duck hunting), but most ND landowners will not allow you to hunt thier pheasants. They "save them" for themselves and family, as they are more limited.

Chief Badger
chiefbadger
hunter

Postby rddckhtr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:18 pm

I am not a guide but have hunted North Dakota 5 years. I have a house in Kulm send me a PM for information on a possible freelance hunt.
:welcome:
rddckhtr
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:44 pm

duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby chiefbadger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:44 pm

You did not respond to my previous questions. Tell me more about what you want to do otherwise advice can be too general in nature, and therefore not very helpful.
chiefbadger
hunter

Postby FOWLGAL » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:25 am

we were looking for a guided hunt to hunt duck/geese in the morning & pheasant/grouse in the off time. We only have 5 days to hunt M-F cause it takes 2 day for us to drive so we are using the weekend for that.
FOWLGAL
hunter

Postby chiefbadger » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Do you have a week selected yet and a place to stay? MANY prime locations are booked solid for October in terms of housing.
Did you know that you (non resident) can not legally hunt ANY ND Plot or State land for 1 week in October? Residents only.

I totally get what you want to do. ND is awesome for duck and C goose hunting. I have used several guides before, but unless you are dead set on field hunting (Canadiens only - forget snow geese/difficulty factor) and focusing "primarily" on geese, than you might be better off saving yourself the money and going on your own. What is your objective? If it is a one time visit and live the best, then spend a good deal of money on a guide in the Devils Lake area because it will cost you for the ducks/geese, due to the competition. If you want to explore the state once with the hope that you will return each year, then I can help you.

Upland birds (mainly pheasants) are substantially less in ND, than SD. My excellent and educated guide in SD told me yesterday that the pheasant/bird count is down substantially due to the long and heavy snows last year. I hunted with him last year between Dec 26th and 30th. He is located in Watertown, SD, but we hunt on private land closer to the ND border, a few hours west of Watertown and north. Dakota Feathers.com Chad Fisher is the owner and his cell number is 605-881-8446. He is an awesome goose hunter/fields. He loves the geese and pheasants. He is happy to help you chase down specific duck species. Here is your problem: Anyone can hunt SD for upland (best in the USA). However, they limit your non resident waterfowl folks to 5,000 a year and you missed the drawing by 3 months. That is why I hunt in ND (30,000 limit) and easier to get on private land.

Best if you hunted each State. If not possible, let me know your thougths on location in ND and maybe I can help further.
chiefbadger
hunter

Postby chiefbadger » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Pheasant Numbers Down, Similar to a Decade Ago (From ND Game and Fish email, 9-12-2011)

North Dakota’s roadside pheasant survey conducted in late July and August suggests poor production this spring, meaning a lower fall population in all areas of the state.

Stan Kohn, upland game management supervisor for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, said the survey shows statewide total pheasants are down 36 percent from last year. In addition, brood observations were down 38 percent, but the average brood size was up 4 percent. The final summary is the result of 222 runs made along 104 brood routes across North Dakota.

“Brood survey numbers from this summer match closely to numbers from 2001, when hunters harvested 420,000 roosters,” Kohn said. “If fall weather conditions hold through most of the year, I could see a fall harvest of about 400,000 birds. But if winter weather sets in early, we could be much lower. Either way, this could be the first fall since 2001 that we harvest less than 500,000 roosters.”

Kohn said several factors contribute to the decrease in pheasant numbers: three difficult winters in a row with above average snowfall has reduced spring’s adult breeding population; wet conditions during peak hatch in mid-June of 2008, 2009 and 2011 reduced chick survival; and the loss of nesting habitat on the landscape as more Conservation Reserve Program acreage is removed from pheasant range.

“Boiled down, hunters will likely have to put in more time in the field to find success,” Kohn said. “But as always, there will be local areas within all four pheasant districts where pheasant numbers will be much above or much below what is predicted for the district.”

Statistics from southwestern North Dakota indicate both the number of broods and number of birds observed were down 26 percent from 2010. Observers counted 14 broods and 118 birds per 100 miles. The average brood size was six. “Census numbers indicate this district will have the best pheasant numbers in the state this fall,” Kohn said.

Results from the southeast show the number of birds observed down 54 percent from last year, and the number of broods was down 60 percent. Observers counted four broods and 36 birds per 100 miles. The average brood size was 5.7. “Removal of CRP in the southeast may have already affected the number of birds produced this spring, with weather conditions adding more pressure on spring production,” Kohn said.

Statistics from the northwest indicated pheasants are down 53 percent from last year, with broods down 62 percent. Observers recorded two broods and 21 birds per 100 miles. Average brood size was 5.5.

The northeast district, generally containing secondary pheasant habitat with much of it lacking good winter cover, showed 0.4 broods and four birds per 100 miles. Average brood size was six. Both number of birds observed and number of broods recorded were down roughly 66 percent. “Hunters should concentrate their efforts in the southern counties of this district for the best potential to find birds,” Kohn said.

The 2011 regular pheasant season opens Oct. 8 and continues through Jan. 8, 2012. The two-day youth pheasant hunting weekend, when legally licensed residents and nonresidents ages 15 and younger can hunt statewide, is set for Oct. 1-2
chiefbadger
hunter

Postby hudson river drake » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:31 am

i can confirm the recommendation chris gave you about coteau lodge. He made the recommendation to me last year and we were very pleased with Tim and Cody. we are heading out again with them this year in mid October
hudson river drake
hunter

Postby FOWLGAL » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks for the post guys very much appreciated. Hudson River Drake Thanks for the confirming Chris's recommendation, we call and they only had 1 date available and our friend wasn't available at that time so we are not head out which stinks cause we need a vacation, maybe next year though

Thanks Again everyone who post or PM

FowlGal
FOWLGAL
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting