Looking for a place near Minot

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Looking for a place near Minot

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:51 pm

We are planning a trip up to Minot October 2nd-8th. Anyone renting or know a place to rent out near there? There will be about 12 of us. Thanks in advance!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Re: Looking for a place near Minot

Postby chiefbadger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Hey,

I was born and raised in Wisconsin. Left Waukesha in 1997 for Illinois. I do all my duck hunting in Wisconsin and North Dakota. Started free lancing in ND in 1998. My mentor and I used to hunt a lot in Waukesha and Jefferson Counties in the 1990's, but the population boom took over. Anyways, we stay in Garrison North Dakota, about 40 miles(?) South of Minot. The Garrison Motel has expanded substantially in the last 4 years. Otherwise, there are virtually no places to stay in small towns, or they are booked for October a year in advance. If you plan on staying Minot go northwest or west for loads of water, however, I have no idea what the floods did so this year could be confusing. Here is what you need to know: Every year we pot hole or slough hunt, it changes. One year a pond is the hot spot and next year it is dry or goes from 6 inches of water to 2 feet, either way the PUDDLE ducks have moved on because they have loads of choices. If you are going to field hunt, then many of the large, resting bodies are good to hold geese and ducks. They KEY is getting landowner permission. Get a North Dakota Plots book at Gander Mt.
Glad to help more, just ask. My trip is October 5th and leaving Oct. 12th. That way I can hunt Wis. 2 weekends first.

Go Packers!

Chief Badger
chiefbadger
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Hey Chief thanks for all the advice! Have you ever heard of any good reports from Tobacco Gardens Resort and Marina? Were looking into renting 2 of there small cabins. Are there any sort of oddities I should know about Minot compared to Waukesha? Were not going to bother bringing a boat all the way there but bringing alot of floaters and some field decoys. I have about 4 doz Mallards, 4 doz teal, and 2 doz canadians. If you are coming up here the 5th maybe we can meet up or sometime in Waukesha? Thanks, Duncan
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby bigritter70 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:15 pm

Three years ago we rented a large house north of minot. It was called Hunter Haven. It was an awesome experience. We really enjoyed it. Nice decor TV's nice kitchen and most of all lots of birds in the area. It is also out in the middle of nowhere with lots of hunting right around the house. So you don't have to drive too far to be on the birds. Tom and Judy Gehringer are the owners really nice people. Give them a call. It has a website called : Hunter Haven ND.

Hayden McDowell
bigritter70
hunter

Postby chiefbadger » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:12 pm

I will be arriving (God willing) in Garrison ND the afternoon of Oct. 5th, for one week. Meeting the Wis boys. I used to have good hunting in Waukesha County in the late 1980's and early 1990's near Oconomowoc, Dousman and Jefferson County, on small creeks, ditches and the Bark River, but things got pretty developed that way and I no longer hunt there. Strictly a Miss River guy and ND for 5-7 days. My mentor is 75 and still leases a great hole in the Town of Waukesha, but I got bumped by his son in law and now grandson. Don't care to hunt the same hole every day like they do, I like new ground and lots of choices, like ND.

I don't know anything about tobacco gardens. About 20 years ago I was doing some speeches to agents in North Dakota. When I told them that we Wisconsin guys often hunt our geese and ducks out of boats, the agents were somewhat disgusted with me. They said, "you mean you shoot them on thier resting spot"? Culturally, that is a big no-no in both ND and SD. My friend in ND confirmed it. They believe that you drive the birds south by shooting them on the water. Keep in mind they are more concerned with geese, not ducks. Some of them think it comical that we would rather chase ducks than honkers. It is not illegal to hunt over water, just a cultural no-no for many resident hunters. We wade in for ducks all the time or hunt the pot holes. As long as it is not a big goose roost, no one seems to care. The other thing is that lots of owners will tell you it is o.k. to hunt the ducks, but they want to keep the pheasants and deer for their family and friends. As a result, I have made a habit of specifically telling them our intentions are for the ducks and geese only. Last, you should know it is a CRIMINAL offense to trespass in ND. Not civil. Thee will be too much water where you are this year, but go anyway, as it changes EVERY year up there. Hardest year is the first, finding spots and land owners.
chiefbadger
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:06 am

Good luck finding ANYTHING to rent in Minot. I had to turn down a job last year at the hospital because there was no place to live and Minot is one of the bigger towns in ND. The towns/cities in ND are just not set up to accept a huge population influx like what is going on in Williston right now. Im sure the folks out there are grateful for the jobs, but Im guessing they arent too thrilled with th sprawl that goes along with the economic boom.....JMO
don novicki
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting