Question- Water Levels compared to previous years

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Question- Water Levels compared to previous years

Postby rucker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 pm

Hunting in the Bottineau area second week of October and am wondering just how much difference I am going to notice in the water levels compared to previous years I have been up there. Should I bank on my usual potholes being too deep this year? Any thoughts are appreciated. Also any thoughts on the effect this will have (if any) on field hunting in genral? Reading the reports there will be no shortage of birds, just wondering how their patterns may have been altered with all the high water. Any general thoughts appreciated.
rucker
hunter

Re: Question- Water Levels compared to previous years

Postby slough » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:52 am

I haven't been that far north, but I think it's fairly safe to say it's going to be about as wet as you've ever seen it. September's been fairly dry so the fields and whatnot should be dry enough, but the potholes have lots of water. Tough to say if potholes you used to hunt will be too deep, it really depends on the situation. Some may be, but you'll just have to check when you get here.
slough
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 am

My reports from the Lakota area are that the water is WAY HIGH. However, there are a couple of our holes that are completely empty. Generally speaking though the water is about twice as high as last year in most places.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby rucker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 pm

thx for the feedback. Thats about what I have been expecting.
rucker
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting