North Dakota WPA's and WDA's

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

North Dakota WPA's and WDA's

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Was looking at the NDGF PLOT maps, looking at the legend there is WPA's and WDA's that are the same color? I did a little searching and found out that WPA stands for Waterfowl Production Area, is this legal for a non-resident to hunt? And any clue what WDA stands for? Thanks
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Re: North Dakota WPA's and WDA's

Postby The Shovla » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:54 pm

absolutely legal to hunt, except I believe for the first week of the season....something like that. Otherwise, you are good to go.
The Shovla
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Alrite awesome! Thank you!
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby slough » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:47 am

I don't think I've heard of a WDA before and I don't see a mention of them in the plots book. WMA (Wildlife Management Area) maybe?

WPA's are federally owned and can be hunted throughout the year - they are not subject to the resident only restrictions during the first week of pheasant season, which is Oct. 8-14 this year I believe.

WMA's and PLOTS are the main (only I think?) lands that nonresidents can't hunt during that week since they are run by the state.

You have to use steel at all times on WPA's even if hunting upland game. WMA's and PLOTS you can use lead for upland game.
slough
hunter

Postby SCQuacker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 pm

How can I get a PLOTS map book? We are coming in the middle of October and hunting around Alsen. It will be our first trip there, looking forward to it. I hear not too many pheasant up there, more S T Grouse and partridge though?? ST Grouse is a FUN bird to shoot, and we hope to get some in the pm after duck/goose hunting!
SCQuacker
Newb

Postby slough » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:29 pm

The maps are all on the ND game & fish website and you can view them or print them there. They won't mail the book but if you pass through a town in ND with a sporting goods store they'll probably have some. They have a list on the game and fish site of places that carry them too:

http://gf.nd.gov/maps/plot-book-sites.html
slough
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting