Migration

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Migration

Postby Bull Can » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:20 pm

I was not able to get out this weekend, but I can imagine with the weather and extreme WNW winds that birds will be moving. Anybody notice anything big?
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Re: Migration

Postby slough » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:04 am

I was pheasant hunting in the south central part of the state and didn't see a whole lot moving. Some specks flying over and some canadas. Nothing to write home about. No mallards whatsoever. Corn getting chopped pretty intensely, although the area I was in probably only 10-20% was down. I'd imagine this week should be a trickle coming in. Highs around 50 and lows around 30.
slough
hunter

Postby Rdunn5 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 pm

I am looking for any duck, goose or crane in for for NW of Jamestown area

going there next week and can't wait

Rick
Rdunn5
hunter

Postby nek9handler » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:39 pm

I will be in Jamestown area the same time......Reports are the birds are their and some moving down and the weather is supposed to be really good...
Most everyone working hard but shooting limits of ducks.

Havent heard much on cranes but I will be chasing those along with ducks and canadas.

I will be in the Silver Ram 2500/Pulling Quad/Has a Black Hood Cover that looks like a T.....Cant miss it
Nebraska Plates...

Good luck and see u in the field......... :thumbsup:
BILL HAMILL
nek9handler
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Migration has not yet started! Very few birds trickling down. Numbers have been increasing throughout the last 4 days. But still very few birds around. Most of what is being shot is big mallards though!
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Lessers/snows are coming down in decent numbers the past couple days. Huntable numbers in some areas for snows.

We've had our best year I think for ducks already....the locals are starting to move on and the migrants aren't down yet. I just talked to a guy hunting around the Quills in Saskatchewan and he was complaining the ducks weren't down to HIM. But it has been cold so there should be some more moving today.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Bull Can » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Went out this morning in the eastern part of the state and not much of a migration. The few locals have all been shot at and were extremely call and decoy shy this morn; we forgot the mojo which probably didn't help.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby Rdunn5 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Thank all for your comments I hope it gets cold soon we will be hunting next Wednesday 10 miles sw of Carrington on a relatively big body of water w both Duck and Goose Decoys. Any additional information on Migration is always much appreciated

sincerely

Rdunn5
Rdunn5
hunter

Postby Yonkers » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Heading to the Goodrich area next week. How are things looking?

I have never been to ND before, planning on doing it all - upland and waterfowl. Even got a swan permit if any come near.
Yonkers
hunter

Postby cjlarose » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:45 pm

:thumbsup: Headed up that way in about 10 days. Weather outlook looks good. Hope it holds
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Postby slough » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:21 am

Yonkers wrote:Heading to the Goodrich area next week. How are things looking?

I have never been to ND before, planning on doing it all - upland and waterfowl. Even got a swan permit if any come near.

Pretty slim for ducks from what I've seen, other than a couple fields that the lodge leases.
slough
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:57 pm

We have been hunting the extreme eastern portion of the state for the last 5 days. Managed to pull of few birds down the first couple days. It has since SHUT OFF! The birds are getting up and leaving for the fields about 20 min before shoot light and don't return till about 10 min after shoot light. We have tried both morning and evening hunts. We have scouted land and water. There plain and simple are not many birds around. Not even any GWT yet. The birds that are here fly over the dekes once and piece out with no response to calls or decoys.

Corn is coming off like crazy and most wheat and bean fields have been tilled under. The water isn't as high as I had initially reported. If your careful most of the smaller potholes can be waded in. The few ducks that are around are grouped up together and stick to one hole. We have found they are being very particular though. We jumped one hole that had about 200 birds on it. This was an extremely large hole though. The birds even after getting shot at wanted back in hard.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby striperphil » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:19 pm

We've been hunting the past week about 30 miles from Devil's Lake. We've killed limits each day, mostly mallards and teal, but havent seen any migrants. Plenty of local birds, but a lot of work as they've been around the block a time or two. Should start to see migrating mallards, and bluebills next week.
striperphil
Newb

Postby mudder » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:46 am

Heading towards Ellendale on Saturday for the week. Sure hope it gets cold....let the snow fly..........and bring in some new birds. But from what I am hearing, might be doubtfull.
mudder
hunter

Postby argoattack » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Drove to my in-laws today W of Edgeley. Did not see much in the air, couple small flocks of ducks and Cananda's. Saw about 40 swans in a field N of Monango. Warm afternoon though, not much of a reason to fly around.
argoattack
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:48 am

Just returned from NoDak after a week of hunting in and around the Harvey area.I'll start off by saying that I have been to NoDak a number of times before and that this was my worst trip, (bag wise) of any since I have been there. It started on the way there as I drove thru Minnesota and saw hundreds of potholes, both big and small, that were devoid of birds. Once I got to NoDak the situation did not improve. True all the potholes and big water were filled with plenty of H2O but other than mud hens the birds were few and far between. I drove from Harvey to Rugby on Tues on a scouting trip and put on about 300 miles that day and the results were the same. Very very few birds and the few that I did see spooked at the first sign of the truck stopping to look them over. The lack of birds seemed to me to be unusual and as far as mallards goes......there werent any. The few birds I did see were mostly Gaddies and a few Teal. The weather did not help at all, bright and sunny every day, despite having some good winds out of the NW. The temps at night dipped into the 20's and most of the slough's had an ice layer in the morning even though it was thin. The dumpster at the R&R motel would bear out the fact that most guys werent killing squat as it was virtually devoid of carcasses. One afternoon I did see about 50 pintails sitting in a very small pool of water so I kicked em out hoping that they would come back but they never did. My tally for the trip was 18 ducks over 5 days so it wasnt a total wash but I really had to work for them and my bag consisted of almost all Gaddies, 2 Mallard hens, and a few Teal and that was it. As for geese numbers they are there but they are in huge flocks so decoying them was not easy. I put 5000 Canadas and snows, yes they were mixed together, one night in a cut barley field, set up for them the next morning and NOTHING. The geese landed in a field about 1 mile away and there they sat.Dont get me wrong I had a good time and killed a few birds but nothing like I thought I was going to. The most disappointing thing is that I wanted a Mallard shoot one morning but it just didnt happen as the Mallards were few and far between. I'm not sure if I missed the migration or that it hasnt started but for you guys going out there this week Look north and west for birds. I hunted mostly up around Balfor, Drake, and Annamoose, and you should plan on scouting hard to scratch out a few birds. One last thing IMO NoDak is going the way of too many other states. EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is posted either by landowners or outfitters. Some landowners will let you hunt their posted property and some won't due to bad experiences with hunters, but I can see that in another few years access will be hit or miss at best. I for one will not be making the trip to NoDak again due to all the posted property. It's a dam shame that in a state such as NoDak, where you could hunt at will anywhere you wanted it has all changed and not for the better. Why anyone would have ever felt the need to lease property (read that outfitters) to hunt in a state that had free access for hunting, is beyond me but thats the way it is now and I dont see it ever going back to the way it was 10 yrs ago. Lastly I talked to a bunch of locals who all said the same thing: the migration has yet to start and when it does happen it will last a few days to a week and then be over. I would say they knew what they were talking about. Im posting this for information purposes and your experience may be different than mine so please don't frag me for posting up what I found when I was there......... P.S. I didnt see squat for Sandhills, but for the guy with the Swan permit there were plenty of them around.
don novicki
hunter

Postby DuckKnuts » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:15 am

What a BUST. Went hunting NW of Jamestown, everyone at the Game and Fish tell you IT'S GREAT, then you travel 12 hours for a complete BUST. What a joke. I guess you folks just want my money.
DuckKnuts
Newb

Postby don novicki » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:02 am

Just as an aside to this forum, I remember when I went to NoDak in 1999 and the USFWS stated that there was going to be a 100 million + fall flight that year ( thats why I went) and now this year all the magazines are talking about a 45 million duck flight this season and how great it's going to be. Unless I have forgotten my math I believe 100 million less 45 million leaves approx a 55 million bird count unexplained. This 45 million number does not jive with the stats the USFWS puts out. Am I wrong or did we lose 55 million ducks over the last 12 years? Judging by my trip to ND there definitely appears to be a bird shortage, at least to me........where's the ducks?
don novicki
hunter

Postby slough » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:23 pm

It's North Dakota, of course there are birds around but it's not like there's a cloud of mallards in every section. More birds seem to be trickling in the last week but still finding them is not always an easy task. I've been hunting about 15 years and it definitely seems like duck habits have changed. Used to be that you could go out at pretty much any time in the season and see enough ducks (mallards) on potholes to make it interesting. Now it seems like for the most part you have the opener week or so to shoot the local ducks and then a week or so around freeze up. Obviously there are ducks around all season but it just seems very hit or miss. Access is definitely getting tougher. I started hunting in 1996 and I can't remember having to ask permission to duck hunt for at least the first 5 years I hunted since most everything was unposted. Mostly just jumped potholes or decoyed small water at that time. I hunt some about 30 miles from where you were and in the words of the farmer whose land I hunt on: "This fee hunting is just getting stupid around here." Other than his land just about everything around him is leased to a lodge or bought by rich people who lock it up. He talks that 15-20 years ago absolutely nothing around him was even posted, let alone leased. The guides running around making money off of unknowing farmers changed that. Definitely a bummer as I love to duck hunt but when you can't get on decent land 90% of the time it is frustrating.
slough
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:29 pm

We've had our best fall ever on ducks - the first 9 times out it was ridiculous with ducks.

Since then it's slowed on ducks but we've been smacking the lesser canadas.

I'm leaving for Sask in 2 days...can't stand waiting on the snows.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby recker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

I think it all depends on where you hunt in North Dakota regarding posted and leased land. I think anywhere around Devils Lake you can pretty much forget ever getting permissionon private land. I hunted ND last year due to not getting a SD tag. I did not have an issue getting on private land but stayed way away from the popular towns that are talked about and discussed on the internet. This too may change but for now I had no issues.
recker
hunter

Postby cjlarose » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:20 am

Hopefully everything works out just right :thumbsup: will be up there by Sunday leaving Friday. Looking forward to a different experience--We will see.
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Postby slough » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 am

I guess I just need to hunt with Chris! :smile:
slough
hunter

Postby Rdunn5 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:49 pm

The migration has begun, Canada's in pretty good numbers per our ND guy in NWJamestown, the hunt begins Thursday :welcome:
One and all

Rdunn5
Rdunn5
hunter

Postby Biguglygreenboat » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm not sure if I was doing anything different last week but we did our homework and were on birds the entire time. We shot 5 man limits every day (mostly big mallards) and even got a few geese even though we didn't target them. I'll agree that the big push hadn't started yet but we didn't have any issues whatsoever finding decent numbers. I wasn't near any of the big towns that were mentioned here and was NEVER denied permission to hunt on land that was posted and not posted (yes we ask even if its not posted). The residents were very hospitable to us and never asked for more than a thank you. If you are headed out soon, look for areas that everyone else hasn't already scouted (i.e. get off the main roads) and you'll be fine. Good luck!!!!
My wife says I don't pay enough attention to her...or something like that. I really wasn't listening.
Biguglygreenboat
hunter

Next

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting