Migration

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Re: Migration

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Scouted tonight - a good spike in birds since last weekend. Found many duck feeds, canada feeds, and 2 snow feeds.

I leave for Saskatchewan tomorrow though - just scouted for some buddies.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby acme » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Mr. Novicki,
Having traveled west through MN on 94 for several years to get to ND for duck hunting, I can tell you without question, do not EVER let the number of ducks on MN water holes be a judge of things to come. If I did, I would turn around every year. :lol3: Sounds like this year was about the same for 6 of us as it was for you. Hunted hard for a few birds. Feast or famine really, two of us got skunked one night and only two ducks one morning. Otherwise two guys would usually get 5-6 ducks am and pm. We got access to a field where the snows and blues had been the prior two mornings. We aren't equipped for field hunting so we threw out what we had into cut barley and tried to hide as best we could in cut corn. They came back that third morning but always were about 100 yards out of range. We did manage 6 of the blues and one lone greenhead bit on our spread of mostly mallard water dekes and a dozen canada geese. What a blast watching them come in. With duck hunting being such a surprise sport, and having never field hunted, i never get any adrenaline rush but when that first flock appeared and looked like it was coming right for us and I had 10 minutes to watch 'em come in, I had a rush just like waiting for that deer to present a good shot. (on the fourth morning, the geese went elsewhere entirely)
acme
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:07 am

We were out there Oct 15th - 19th. We shot a 7 man limit of mallards on the 15th, with a few geese thrown in....shot a 3 man limit of mallards on the 16th. Set up for geese for the morning of the 17th, had a nice field picked out where we spotted a feed the night before, and they flew into a field just to our north...never even looked at our spread....hunted water that afternoon for ducks, and got into the Cans, bills, and gaddies....we didn't limit on the 17th or the 18th hunting divers, because we were just shooting drakes....I would say it was a little harder scouting this year, but the birds were plentiful....I can see why Cans almost went extinct though....they have got to be the dumbest duck out there...next to the bufflehead....=)

We are heading back on Nov 16th, so hopefully the weather holds out and more of the migration hits....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks Acme for the tip. I once heard that Mn was the land of 10K lakes and 6 ducks........sounds like that might be true. :beer:
don novicki
hunter

Postby Rdunn5 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:13 pm

We just returned, a day early, on Saturday as we DID NOT even have few ducks we did see come close, and I did not even shoot once on Saturday. Thursday and Friday were OK both days with enough ducks, Mainly Redheads and Canvasbacks, and they seemed to be migratory birds. We also saw large quantities on both Snows and Canada's on Thursday and Friday. On Saturday they were all gone!! We did drive around on Friday and there really were not many around, a few but that was it.
Overall 2 OK days, 1 Very Poor.
Rdunn5
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Not sure where everyone is hunting but i'm seeing a LOT of geese around and the ducks are showing up now. Scouted a couple thousand geese yesterday but they got up early and rode that wind out. The ducks seemed to have shown up in the past couple of days in decent numbers.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby duckwagon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:07 pm

hunted up there all last week 19th -26th first day found a feild with 8,000 to 10,000 birds feeding in the corn it slowed down by the end of the week but the farmers where cutting and dicsing all around us made it a little tougher we saw a ton of birds hope its like that next year it wasnt last year
duckwagon
hunter

Postby heathrow » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 am

Hunted up there in ND Oct 22th - Oct 28th killed limits ever day of mallards, cans, red heads , gads, teal anbd etc... Toward end of week birds really started coming in. Large flocks of gads and divers. Geese by the thousands
heath adams
heathrow
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:57 am

So if you guys are killing limits everyday, what are you doing with that amount of duck everyday? Eating, sausage, gifting? Just wondering is all.

H2OfowlND
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Ducks are here.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby jteunis » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 am

Would you mind saying where is "here"? I have a tripped plan with my son the week of Thanksgiving ( nov 19-26) and we are trying to decide where we should go. We would like to be on the front edge of the migration. We are looking at North Dakota to as far south as Missouri. You help would be appreciated.
jteunis
hunter

Postby slough » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:48 pm

I'd imagine he means ND. Pretty major movement of birds in central ND this weekend. I was deer hunting and all day Saturday snows were migrating big time along with honkers and ducks. I'd imagine they are moving today as well with all the wind, although it's mostly westerly. On my way home today which was only about 60 miles I saw 5 or 6 fields with good numbers of geese (mostly snows) in them and that was just from the highway (wasn't really even looking for birds). I would say if you are trying to hit the front of the migration Nov. 19 would be a little late for ND.
slough
hunter

Postby Philo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Are there alot of ducks in the Devils Lake area? Lookin at comin from Northern MN to wherever the heaviest concentration of ducks are in ND Thurs Nov. 10th thru Sunday. Any info is appreciated, I'm bringing my son and girlfriends son who's never had a chance to do anything like this before, so hopefully we can find good places to put him on some birds. Thanks
Philo
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby H2OfowlND » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:28 pm

So you are expecting someone to tell you exactly where to go? Put the time and effort in like most other people. If you want a hand out hire a guide.
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby Philo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeah dumb ass I want someone to guide me through it all. It's @****** like you that give sportsman a bad name! I gladly help out people all the time putting them on hunting and fishing spots, etc.. Punk asses like you need a good ass kickin! Normally I would just ignore a post like yours, but I guess you set me off even though I know you're a waste of time.
Philo
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Bull Can » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 am

Easy brother. Not trying to be harsh, but it isn't the best idea to ask where the heaviest concentration of birds are in ND; if often will get ignored. Especially if you're from out of state.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby landinggearDRC » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:17 am

was just up there the 3rd-7th with my brother.. awesome state!! awesome people too! we were on ducks the first 2 days in a small pothole. Pouring in and couldnt load our guns fast enough.. started to slow down at the end a lot of birds migrating thru. snows were coming thru all day the last day. it was hard to pattern them in fields. They kept switching it up. Deer season is in full swing up there so A LOT harder to get on land!!
landinggearDRC
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:08 pm

As stated, snows are here bigtime. I can't wait for the weekend and hoping we get some wind.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Bull Can » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Thousands of geese and duck numbers growing. The birds are very concentrated so they are tough to hunt unless you time it right.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby rddckhtr » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 am

Just returned from 2 weeks of hunting south central PPR. Birds are starting to move in but not like past years. The weather was very windy and warm compared to past 5 years. Need a freeze up in prairie Canada to push birds.The area hunted had open water every where. We set up for snows on posted property with permission from farmer only to have the roost busted by 2 trespassing hunters. The 2 violators scored 2 downed snows, but scared 2 thousand snows off the roost. I would have liked to stay another 2 weeks for migration to peak but thats hunting. Good luck :beer:
rddckhtr
hunter

Postby ThePro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 am

I have familly in the state and coming thanksgiving thru the fallowing thurs. Just thought i would ask what people thought would be the chances of seeing a huntable number of birds. Thanks God Bless
ThePro
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Geese yes, ducks not too sure haven't scouted em recently.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby ThePro » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Bull Can wrote:Geese yes, ducks not too sure haven't scouted em recently.

Ya figured i would find Snows pretty easy but those Northern Mallerds drive me i love a good dry corn field with a tornado of big Mallerds coming in what a sight. Thanks for the insight my cousin is in college there so he hasn't been able to scout
ThePro
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Which one? I'm an UND
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby ThePro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Bull Can wrote:Which one? I'm an UND

NDSU