Duck Hunting Forum banner

North Dakota mallard field hunting

8K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Duckslayer100 
#1 ·
We are 2 responsible duck hunters with lots of experience but have never been to ND. Anyone who can help us and point us in the right direction would be appreciated. We are looking for Mallard field opportunities. We will not pay a guide or trespass fees. We believe that this is America, Proud and Free. From what we here the landowners are friendly and open to access. We would just ask for closest towns for lodging, and farmers contacts.

Thank you for your time

Dana Simon

#2 ·
You realize this is the classifeds right? :huh:
Also,I dont think anybody is going to give out the town they stay at on a open forum and I pretty dang sure nobody is going to give you their contacts up there. :no:
I've hunted up there 13 years. I'll tell you this...pick an area to stay,burn some gas scouting and knock on some doors when you get there just like the rest of us did. :thumbsup: Its that easy.
And thank you for not using a guide!

#3 ·
grnhd said:
You realize this is the classifeds right? :huh:
Also,I dont think anybody is going to give out the town they stay at on a open forum and I pretty dang sure nobody is going to give you their contacts up there. :no:
I've hunted up there 13 years. I'll tell you this...pick an area to stay,burn some gas scouting and knock on some doors when you get there just like the rest of us did. :thumbsup: Its that easy.
And thank you for not using a guide!
This.
We spent a lot of our time and money finding birds and places to hunt. Unless you feel like sending me a check to cover our expenses, do like everyone else does and scout (not on the internet)! As far as ND goes, if you have any sense about you (or access to Google maps) you really can't go wrong. That being said, I hope you are planning for the future as I think you are a little late to be headed to ND this year.

#4 ·
Like everyone is saying, get a map and decide on an area.Most farmers are ok with you hunting ducks and geese. We went to an area in central ND with the plan of field hunting and it was a bust for us. We did alot of scouting and found pot holes loaded with birds, and it turned into a hunt of a lifetime.Just go and plan on doing a fair amount of driving..Best of luck

#5 ·
To all that responded, you sound like a bunch of unfriendly folks. Except GB hunter. Just thought I would ask for a little help and I alI get is arogant responses. You sound like the typical duck hunters. Your in it for yourself only. Selfish! Grow up and share your information. It would be nice to talk to someone friendly. This post was for next season you jerk. Maybe we will be in your spot before you get there.

#6 ·
You would have got the same response from me about Calif. If anyone needs to grow up, it's you. And with 3 posts, it doesn't look like you've been around long.

How about this: "I'm planning a trip to ND next year, and was wondering if the was some townships more popular than others to start scouting. I've never hunted there before, could someone point me in the right direction of where the flyway is?" or something like that.

#7 ·
Do some homework. If you don't want to pay because this is America put some time in and earn your birds. Scout, scout, and scout some more. To ask for towns and farmer contacts, come on get real. I don't know one forum you wouldn't get laughed off of. Put in some work on the ground.

#8 ·
Ill say the same thing the other guys are saying.. scout and work for your birds!! plain and simple.. its AMERICA. You have to work hard for what you want. I went up to Nodak for the first time with my brother and we had it hard. It was warm and windy. we only killed 30 ducks in 4 days. But had a blast doing it and getting out of same old hunting in indiana. I never asked one person where their spots were or who to contact. If you need that then call up a guide or pay money to hunt land :hi:

#10 ·
Bea,
This year was my first time going up there, we stayed in Garrison which is south of Minot. Alot of good easily accessibly public land. We got there early friday morning, unloaded the car and drove around to look at the places we had mark on the PLOTS map. Although it isnt by Devils Lake we still managed to do pretty good, even in the 86F heat! If it helps you at all we stayed at the "indian Hills" campground and rented out one of there little condos. As for getting permission, just ask...the worse they can say is no! Being from Wisconsin we brought cranberries and WI cheese as a bribe! Hope this helped! :grooving:

#11 ·
backwoodsboy09 said:
Bea,
This year was my first time going up there, we stayed in Garrison which is south of Minot. Alot of good easily accessibly public land. We got there early friday morning, unloaded the car and drove around to look at the places we had mark on the PLOTS map. Although it isnt by Devils Lake we still managed to do pretty good, even in the 86F heat! If it helps you at all we stayed at the "indian Hills" campground and rented out one of there little condos. As for getting permission, just ask...the worse they can say is no! Being from Wisconsin we brought cranberries and WI cheese as a bribe! Hope this helped! :grooving:
Here is my question (and probably the reason you are going to get blasted for this post): Who helped YOU find birds? Sounds to me that you guys did exactly what everyone has suggested, you picked a spot, you drove around, you did your homework and you found birds. It's not that hard, it just gets on everyone's nerves when someone wants someone else to do all the work for them (and when somebody actually gives up said info). Do the work people!

#12 ·
I think you might want to stay away from the Devils Lake area if you are looking to hunt fields and potholes, as it is the busiest area of the state and you will have to pay for some land opportunities. Otherwise, the SE corner of the state is good, anything within 2 hours of Jamestown is very good. Stay away from Williston as you will NEVER get lodging, due to the oil fields. If you go closer to the Canadien border you will find less competition for sure, the rule is the farther they have to drive the less folks do.

As a plan: I would select some wildlife areas as a fall back plan. It is easier to get permission for potholes (small ones) than to find land owners for field hunting. It can and is done, but you must make a multi year committmen to an area, or have 2-3 days to run people down in the off season. If you come from Wis or Illinois like me, that is not feasible. But over several years, you will learn what is open and what is never open to hunting. Please understand, we are in the same fraternity if you will, pro hunting and pro second amendment. Those that see the total picture, realize that the "opportunity" to hunt, or a a place to hunt is critical to keeping hunter numbers up. That allows us to vote Republican and pro gun rights. I know, I moved from Wis to Illinois and there are lots of people in huge cities that do not vote our way and think we are evil. So, don't worry about a few posts from a few young guys who think that anyone within 50 miles of the ND spot is a threat. You are a friend and I set up a few guys with my city last year on this site. Pick 2 counties and commit to them. Work them hard for 2 years and you will go back.
Last, better get a hotel now, some places like Rugby, book a year in advance for October.

Ron

#13 ·
Williston, Minot...pretty much anywhere west of Dickinson is a waterfowling gold mine.
Good luck :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.