Couple questions

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Couple questions

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 am

Well guys myself and a hunting buddy will be making the 30+ hr drive to your home state this year. We honestly want to just witness the numbers of birds you guys are used to seeing, and hopefully take some species we have been wanting to take for years. Im just torn on when we should come up should we hunt the non res opener, or come up towards the end of oct to catch the migration. Are the birds plummed at all during the early opener? I would like to have some birds for the wall since I may never get this chance again. And when does the canada hunting get good? Thanks for any help guys
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: Couple questions

Postby jgoetz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Best advice: SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT.

Lots of window time in ND will usually yield a decent number of birds. Nobody is going to give you a location. Your going to have to come up with that on your own. Non-res opener the birds are not usually plummed out. If they are they are sorta half way only. I would wait until the migration. However, that can be hard to time. If you hit it right your in the money, if not you might regret the 30+ hour drive.

Grab one of the jumbo atlases. That is a great place to start. Just start driving the dirt roads when you get there. I had stuff all scouted out when I used to hunt back there and would still drive 200 miles in a day.

Best of luck. If timed right (or if you live there) the hunting is absolutely phenomenal!
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for response. We are leaving the area open until we get there im going for 12 days total so we can have two days to put in window time before we start hunting and in no way am I asking for advice on areas I want to do this completely blind so I can prove to myself that I can do it and have a successful week of hunting, birds or no birds its gonna be an adventure
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:23 pm

The earlier you come, the lesser the plumage. NR opener can still have some pretty unplumaged birds.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:03 pm

thats what I figured. So we are gonna push the trip to the last week in oct. And hope to catch some of the migration. Chris what would be a good way to track the migration up there. To atleast give us a general starting point. Ive heard of guys using ducks unlim. Migration map
mdfowlman
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting