Off topic-- possible relocation

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Off topic-- possible relocation

Postby Cookie the rookie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:40 pm

My employer is offering a pretty substantial relocation package and cash bonus to relocate to either the Bismarck or Fargo area (my choice). We have friends in Bismarck so that's the front runner as moving half way across the US would be easier with atleast 1 friendly face to help you settle in.

My question isn't about the hunting because I have no doubt that the worst day in the worst part of ND is by far better than home (the land of no ducks) Va. My question is more to do with living and raising my kids (girls 8-9) how is the housing , school system, and pace of life.

I'm in Richmond Va now which has a population bigger that the entire state of ND so obviously it's going to be a bit of a culture shock but in a good way.... My wife and I were both raised in rural areas of Va that have metropolized into bedroom community's of DC.

Any advice , tips , and inside intel would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance !
Now getcha SHINE-BOX.......
Cookie the rookie
hunter

Re: Off topic-- possible relocation

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm

I grew up in Fargo, currently reside in Bismarck and will probably die here.

Both are great places to raise a family. Bismarck is a little slower paced. Both school systems are great.

The hunting/fishing is better closer to Bismarck.

Drop me a line if you make a choice. North Dakota is THE place if you love the outdoors. So much going on.

Chris
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Re: Off topic-- possible relocation

Postby slough » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Bismarck is a little more mild than Fargo, but -10 doesn't feel much different than -20. :wink: Pretty much always windy, 20mph is classified as just a strong breeze here, maybe get a calm (and by calm we mean less than 10mph) day or two a week on average.

Bismarck is fairly slow-paced, if you are into night life or going to shows you may be disappointed and Minneapolis is about a good 6 hour drive. But it has most of the big midwestern chain restaurants and department stores. Probably looking around 250k for a nice 4-5 bedroom house. Schools are good but getting a little crowded (I'm a teacher) - there is a vote on a bond issue this fall to build 2 more elementary schools and another high school. Even with the crowding, I haven't heard of classes larger than 25 or so.

The hunting and fishing are very good but don't have ridiculous expectations. It's not like you just drive into the countryside and see clouds of ducks and pheasants all over, but if you put in some time you will do fine. I've lived here 5 years and still struggle sometimes.
slough
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting