full moon

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

full moon

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Im making the 30+ hour drive to ND this year to try field hunting ducks. the dates I thought I had nailed down are oct.17-28th i chose those dates hoping to get into some of the migration but im kind of worried about the full moon. should I avoid it? the moon isnt completely full until the 30th and if its cloudy it wont really matter.

thanks for any help/insight
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: full moon

Postby slough » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:08 pm

It definitely can make things tougher. Morning hunts often don't materialize because the birds don't fly sometimes during the full moon. Not that you can't get good hunts, it just may take a little more scouting & patterning of birds. Not something I would worry a whole lot about since if you are here for 11 days you'll probably need some slower days or else you'll get sick of eating duck, lucky dog.
slough
hunter

Re: full moon

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Ok cause I have heard some horror stories about birds not leaving the roost during shooting hours for days during a full moon week. I will be off for eleven days but 4 daya of it is driving and a full day of scouting before our first hunt so i have six days. So pumped october Cant come soon enough
mdfowlman
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting