Dont Be Haters

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Dont Be Haters

Postby ThePro » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:29 pm

I love this site, but i dont get most of you guys. You hate on out of staters and say, "dont ask for help" or "dont come at all". Why? You guys have a waterfowl rich enviorment with a lot of tradition. I just wish people would not act like harda.... and just be nice and polite on this site. You dont have to give away honeyholes but be polite. My dad is from N.D. so I have benn coming to N.D. for years. We come every fall and rarelly hunt the same spots because fields are always changing. So people your not kidding anyone there really are no secret spots. (Flyway= New Birds= Constant Changed In Bird Patterns) And for all of you haters our crew guys killed 150 geese in one week last year, So guess what boys i am coming back.
ThePro
hunter

Re: Dont Be Haters

Postby bflow08 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 pm

boom goes the dynomite, i spend my time scouting and hunt not caring about computer junkies and blog dogs... my thought are if you want to help someone out by giving your opinion then post it but if dont want to help them then dont post it... ignoring a poster is the best way to get rid of them lol... never a dull moment.. good luck on your hunt bro
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 am

Not everyone is a hater, and not everyone is a lover. Just look at it from a ND resident hunters perspective...you have people year round asking for the best places to go, the best way to kill birds, the best town to base out of. All that wears on people. Also, for years we were untouched by the rest of the country, so this is a new found fame ND residents don't really care for.

We aren't used to the hunting pressure that the rest of the country has, so we are touchy when the subject comes up. Hunting in ND is a lot like, but yet different than other places. As for the 'secret' spots, there are none, but only in our minds. The main reason people don't like giving out information on the net is the fact you have thousands of people reading it and they could bombard a particular area. The area I hunt in has been over run and the quality of hunting and land access has gone down. Just one bad apple is all it takes to close off thousands of acres to everyone.

Just put yourself in our shoes and see what you have to lose.

H2OfowlND
MH
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby tilley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58 pm

And you can thank the internet and sites just like this one. Kind of ironic. I am with you but people always sucumb to greed and their big mouths.
tilley
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 am

I have never been treated bad or had a bad experience in ND. I hunted in 5 different states last yr. However I don't ask dumb questions and I put in over 800 miles of scouting per week when I'm there,thats after a 1600 mile drive to get there. I was lucky enough to go with someone the first time that had been several yrs and learned from him. I have been 5 yrs in a row but not sure I can go this yr due to new house should be finished sometime in Oct. I still might try to make it but it's gonna suck if I don't. I love hunting in ND
labman63
hunter

Postby ThePro » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 pm

labman i agree,
Just because i have hunted N.D. for 8rs dosent mean our crew dont work for it. We have core base camp area and work offthat. What i dont understand are guys who just ask like as...... Hey if some one ask a question and you think is dumb, dont reply with "We hate out of Staters, dont come" Just dont reply or give them the pick aspot on the map and good luck.
ThePro
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:04 am

ThePro wrote:labman i agree,
Just because i have hunted N.D. for 8rs dosent mean our crew dont work for it. We have core base camp area and work offthat. What i dont understand are guys who just ask like as...... Hey if some one ask a question and you think is dumb, dont reply with "We hate out of Staters, dont come" Just dont reply or give them the pick aspot on the map and good luck.

Guys are just bitter by the increase in pressure over the last 20 years. It wasn't that long ago a guy could drive around all weekend and not see another hunter. Now most every field or water with birds has a vehicle parked on it. It is what it is, just understand why people are bitter.

H2O gave his perspective as a resident as well...not far off.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby ThePro » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Hey Chris,
Man i understand, here in ohio that is what has happend to the deer hunting. The pressure is just a joke not to mention out of staters leasing land that people have hunted for years. I just think people could show a little courtesy on the site thats all............. But i love your post's man keep up the good work
ThePro
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Being an out of stater and reading what some of the residence say makes me laugh. Where I live a normal day hunting is usually 20+ guys hunting about 30 acres of marsh. I do hope that the rate of people going to ND does slow down, love the state, love the people, don't want to see what happened to SE WI happen to you guys...goodluck guys in the upcoming season. Ill see you up there the last week of October!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby bwteal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:29 pm

The people that don't want NRs here are the greedy ones. For them its all about the kill and not the hunt. It's their loss. I hunted as a NR for 23 years and never got turned down when I asked for permission and never had issues with locals. ND farmers are good people and most are awesome about sharing. Now that I live here I am totally OK with the surge of hunters in October that don't have what I have and I want to see them enjoy the resource. We all have to hang together on taking care of the future of waterfowling and if that means sharing what we have in ND then let's do it. I have and will continue to happily give up my hunt to a NR if it will help them enjoy the bounty of the waterfowl resource and hopefully find it in themselves to make the effort to ensure the future of waterfowling for those yet to come. By the way, who do you think is paying for all of the habitat that is keeping the duck seasons as they are? It is those that buy the duck stamps, license, support the fund raising organizations and buy gear, guns and ammo. ND hunters are just a small part of that. Let's keep the skies alive in the fall and make it so all of us that love the ducks can enjoy the harvest.
bwteal
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 pm

I understand Chris, heck it's getting so bad here in NC that I joined a private club in Ark just to get away from everyone. That being said you just can't get the Nodak expereince anywhere else! Maybe the high gas prices will keep some home this yr! Not me tho if I can get away. I love it up there. I hope to retire next yr and I'm thinking about spending Aug and Sept up there training dogs then hunt my 14 days in Oct then head south.

Chris Hustad wrote:
ThePro wrote:labman i agree,

Guys are just bitter by the increase in pressure over the last 20 years. It wasn't that long ago a guy could drive around all weekend and not see another hunter. Now most every field or water with birds has a vehicle parked on it. It is what it is, just understand why people are bitter.

H2O gave his perspective as a resident as well...not far off.
labman63
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:59 pm

labman63 wrote:I understand Chris, heck it's getting so bad here in NC that I joined a private club in Ark just to get away from everyone. That being said you just can't get the Nodak expereince anywhere else! Maybe the high gas prices will keep some home this yr! Not me tho if I can get away. I love it up there. I hope to retire next yr and I'm thinking about spending Aug and Sept up there training dogs then hunt my 14 days in Oct then head south.

Not a bad plan...maybe we'll keep you here as a resident. :biggrin:
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Dont Be Haters

Postby romeocadet08 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:25 pm

bwteal wrote:The people that don't want NRs here are the greedy ones. For them its all about the kill and not the hunt. It's their loss. I hunted as a NR for 23 years and never got turned down when I asked for permission and never had issues with locals. ND farmers are good people and most are awesome about sharing. Now that I live here I am totally OK with the surge of hunters in October that don't have what I have and I want to see them enjoy the resource. We all have to hang together on taking care of the future of waterfowling and if that means sharing what we have in ND then let's do it. I have and will continue to happily give up my hunt to a NR if it will help them enjoy the bounty of the waterfowl resource and hopefully find it in themselves to make the effort to ensure the future of waterfowling for those yet to come. By the way, who do you think is paying for all of the habitat that is keeping the duck seasons as they are? It is those that buy the duck stamps, license, support the fund raising organizations and buy gear, guns and ammo. ND hunters are just a small part of that. Let's keep the skies alive in the fall and make it so all of us that love the ducks can enjoy the harvest.

^^^ Damn fine post!!!

I'm glad that someone sees the big picture and embraces it. Thank you!!!

Best post I've seen on here in several years!!
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby DukkHunter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:24 pm

romeocadet08 wrote:
bwteal wrote:The people that don't want NRs here are the greedy ones. For them its all about the kill and not the hunt. It's their loss. I hunted as a NR for 23 years and never got turned down when I asked for permission and never had issues with locals. ND farmers are good people and most are awesome about sharing. Now that I live here I am totally OK with the surge of hunters in October that don't have what I have and I want to see them enjoy the resource. We all have to hang together on taking care of the future of waterfowling and if that means sharing what we have in ND then let's do it. I have and will continue to happily give up my hunt to a NR if it will help them enjoy the bounty of ithe waterfowl resource and hopefully find it in themselves to make the effort to ensure the future of waterfowling for those yet to come. By the way, who do you think is paying for all of the habitat that is keeping the duck seasons as they are? It is those that buy the duck stamps, license, support the fund raising organizations and buy gear, guns and ammo. ND hunters are just a small part of that. Let's keep

the skies alive in the fall and make it so all of us that love the ducks can enjoy the harvest.

^^^ Damn fine post!!!

I'm glad that someone sees the big picture and embraces it. Thank you!!!

Best post I've seen on here in several years!!

Hate to be a "hater". But the $ that the state brings in and devotes to wildlife habitat from taxable oil production would FAR exceed the revenue the state brings in from out of state licenses. Also, I don't think anyone on here has any problems with NR hunters. It's just the kids who get on here and do their best internet scouting. If you're fine with giving up your hunting spots to NR's that's your business. But I put too much time into scouting every fall to find a decent field to hunt to then just give it up to some chump on the internet. Huntings different here this year... Last year we had a flood.... Water everywhere. This year we have a drought... Most all that waters gone. If you want to come up here and hunt, do what ALL the rest of us do. Get your butt in the truck and drive. You'll find birds... There's no need to try to do this online. It just annoys us. Don't confuse that for being NR "haters".
work sucks.... lets hunt!
DukkHunter
hunter

Dont Be Haters

Postby romeocadet08 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I understand and I despise a cyberscouter too. If you don't burn through at least a tank of gas a day while out there than you're not doing it right!!!! Hahaha
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby RedneckCGil29 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:48 pm

romeo very well put post, thepro im in the same boat as you as far as looking to take a trip in october but in 2013.. ive been doing some research in the past week and trying to find a area to hunt and it seem like the local hunters hate us NR. i live in ohio and if somebody from north dakota was coming here to hunt i would try to help them as much as i can
RedneckCGil29
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 pm

As much as I like it up there you can have the winters. I train dogs yr round and that would be tough up there.

Dave
Chris Hustad wrote:
labman63 wrote:I understand Chris, heck it's getting so bad here in NC that I joined a private club in Ark just to get away from everyone. That being said you just can't get the Nodak expereince anywhere else! Maybe the high gas prices will keep some home this yr! Not me tho if I can get away. I love it up there. I hope to retire next yr and I'm thinking about spending Aug and Sept up there training dogs then hunt my 14 days in Oct then head south.

Not a bad plan...maybe we'll keep you here as a resident. :biggrin:
labman63
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 pm

gonna throw my 2 cents in here too... because i sort of think i can see this from both sides... at least a bit. first, my background... I grew up a NoDak farm kid, after grad school took a job in Iowa. Lived there 6 years. My wife's job has taken us to Missouri and been here about 4 years now.

NoDak is a sentimental place to me. Its still and will always be home to me. My wish is that when my number is up, bury me on a hill on our farm where i've watched the sun set countless times over a slough that i grew up hunting and trapping on.

But now that i'm a NR, i make a trip like thousands of other people for a week long hunt in NoDak. its been a huge learning process growing up hunting 'easy' ducks in NoDak and then moving to IA and MO and trying to continue to hunt them... on public land with lots of other people hunting the same area and birds. I never knew how good i had it in NoDak. I've had good days both in IA and MO, but i'd trade it all for a week in NoDak in a heartbeat. And honestly, in my own way i hoard my trip to NoDak. Sounds sort of bad, but thats the truth. I tell no one where I am going other than NoDak. I do take some close friends along but guys that respect and value it just as I do. And its not that I don't want others to enjoy the resource; but why should I enable them? no one helped me in IA or MO; i've done it the hard way in both states all on public land. It would be like if i tried walking onto one of the duck clubs along the Miss. river... places where guys pay $5000/year to be a member. They have an investment in their place, just like I have an investment in mine.

so i don't endorse the hating of NR's (especially since i am one!) and i don't think most NoDakers hate them... but can you blame them for being upset when they've hunted an area for years and years and then someone from timbuktu shows up to hunt it? who wouldn't be upset? I agree that we should all get along as much as possible, but I can't say i would act any differently if i were still a NoDak resident. It would be frustating and is frustrating... last year on our first morning in NoDak, we had scouted a feed, saw it was posted, I knew the landowner so called him and he gave me permission. we got out there only to find guys from Ohio setting up... they said they didn't drive all the way around the quarter and didn't see the posted sign (so not posted correctly either, but...). i was mad as hell, but i don't want to ruin a hunt for myself or anyone else so we moved to a different spot and settled for a mediocre hunt, which was still better than i'd do in MO most days. We had 2 more run-ins with other groups but beat them to the spots and had great hunts. And i know its selfish, but it makes me sad that my little area is getting more pressure than it ever has before.

so like it or not, NR's are probaby gonna continue to get a bad rap from some people in NoDak. And this doesn't happen only on the NoDak forum, people get ripped on all the time on the MO forum too; and probably other states. And sadly, depending on the ecoomy and gas prices, i think the easy access in NoDak is slowly coming to an end as more and more hunters come to NoDak. and yeah, I will be one of them.
MODAKR
hunter

Postby DukkHunter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Good stuff MoDak. I'm actually a St Louis native that's moved to Nodak. So I know where you're comin from :thumbsup: .
work sucks.... lets hunt!
DukkHunter
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting