headed to north dakota

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

headed to north dakota

Postby bflow08 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 pm

im headed to Noth Dakota for some wonderful waterfowl this year. I currently have 5 doz full body ducks and 5 doz full body geese and 4 mojos... the guys going with me have an additional 1 doz full body ducks.. so that makes 6 doz.. whats the forums opinion on if ill be set, or do i need to go out and get a few more dozen? im hunting for ducks mostly but im not aginst pounding a limit of honkers if they present themselves.. mostly feild hunting might hunt water in the right situation but i have no problems with floaters.. thanks for your thoughts.. if theres any hunters from around ashley in here maybe we can meet for a beer...
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

Re: headed to north dakota

Postby bflow08 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:48 pm

also looking for a lead on some lodging i have a place that was recomended but anything would be helpful
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

Postby slough » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:17 am

5 doz duck decoys will be plenty to go with the goose decoys. If you are short on space i'd leave some of the ducks home. The goose decoys are probably the most important part, 5 doz should be enough unless you're trying to hide a ton of guys maybe.
slough
hunter

Postby bflow08 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 pm

thanks for the info i was thinking of maybe getting a few doz shell geese to blend in with the full bodys and add numbers plus they are alot cheaper
Bryan
Active USAF
bflow08
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 am

In my opinion you have way more than you need. We limit about every hunt and put out 2 doz FB ducks and 1 doz FB geese and a doz FB cacklers plus 3 mojo's. Sometimes smaller is better. I know guys that just put out 2 doz geese and a mojo and whack'm.
labman63
hunter

Postby sanjuandel » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:22 pm

i also am thinking of hunting the minot area. any help in public land for pheasants and ducks? i 'm not looking for honey holes,just decent hunting. thanks
sanjuandel
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am

We hunted just south of Minot last year, plenty of public hunting spots to the east and south.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09