Duck Plummage in North Dakota

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Duck Plummage in North Dakota

Postby goosehunter4ever » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:04 pm

First off I would like to say, I'm so glad to have found this site! A lot of useful information and can't wait to become a part of the site! But a few of my buddies and myself are in a debate about Duck's Plummage in late October in North Dakota! Brown Ducks? or Nice looking ducks? Pictures to prove would really help! We are debating about future trip to ND or southern US... and we need this debate to be settled! Thanks everyone! Have a great day!
goosehunter4ever
hunter

Re: Duck Plummage in North Dakota

Postby H2OfowlND » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Debating or looking for taxidermy quality birds? By the end of Oct, the plumage is better. Not brown and not all full plumaged out for every bird. You still can get some great looking birds though.

H2OfowlND
H2OfowlND
hunter

Re: Duck Plummage in North Dakota

Postby Yonkers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:21 am

Yeah exactly what H2OfowlND said. Last year we were there the last full week of October. I bought back a Drake bufflehead that was is great plummage and we got others that were as well (widgeons, redhead, canvasback). We never did see any nice shovelers in full plummage but from what I know these guys get full color later then most of the other birds.

From what I have read and heard if solely going for wall hangers, the later in the season the better so down south would be my pick for that. With that being said, I have not made it down there yet and love hunting in ND and heading back again this year beginning of November.
Yonkers
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting